Sunday, September 16, 2012

Oregon Coast 2012 Day 4 North!

 

Day 1 and 2: The drive up, and the Multnomah Falls area.

Day 3 Part 1: Sweet Creek

Day 3 Part 2: Cape Perpetua

I had 2 things in mind that I wanted to do this trip. I wanted to go see the sand dunes of Florence, and see Cannon Beach. After researching the sand dunes, I decided that is more of a ride around on ATV kind of thing than pretty, so we ended up doing Sweet Creek instead (a much better choice I think) So today we decided to head up North to Cannon Beach.

In previous years we have explored everything from Depoe Bay, north to Seaside except this area (and a waterfall I planned on seeing this year but didn’t make it.) So northward we trekked, family in tow.

DSC_0538

After the long drive, we arrived at the south end of Cannon Beach. This is Haystack rock, not to be confused with Haystack Rock only a couple miles south. Long story but the short version is, I thought this was where we were going last year but due to it having the same name was very wrong.

DSC_0539

Check out the relic from the past!

DSC_0541

DSC_0548

DSC_0554

DSC_0555

DSC_0558

I love all the Monoliths here!

DSC_0560

Ooh, lucky us we showed up during low tide.

DSC_0561

Lots of people though.

DSC_0567

DSC_0568

DSC_0569

DSC_0572

DSC_0574

Lots of sea stars here! and they are huge!

DSC_0576

Muscles.

DSC_0582

DSC_0583

DSC_0587

This is one the the more bizarre tide pools I have visited. A giant rock bed smack dab in the middle of a giant beach. Still really cool.

DSC_0590

Baby fish, or some other critter.

DSC_0594

After this we decided to head back. I didn’t realize it at the time, but we must’ve walked a good mile or so out to Haystack Rock.

From here we decided to go to Ecola State Park. It costs 5 bucks, but it was super pretty so it was worth it.

DSC_0602

DSC_0603

Foggy up here!

DSC_0604

Chipmunk!

DSC_0606

DSC_0610

Amazing view! This may or not look familiar to you, if you have ever seen the movie Goonies, this is supposed to be where the pirate ship came out at the end of the movie. I am going to have to watch it again to be sure.

DSC_0625

Thistle!

DSC_0628

More rocky shores.

DSC_0629

DSC_0647

Tillamook Head Lighthouse. I wish I had brought my telephoto lens.

DSC_0632

DSC_0634

DSC_0654

A couple more fun shots. I think the last one is my favorite.

DSC_0664

DSC_0671

Flowers!

DSC_0672

Fog in the trees.

DSC_0674

DSC_0675

We walked down to Indian Beach.

DSC_0682

Sea star on seaweed.

DSC_0685

Anemone

DSC_0686

Interesting striping.

DSC_0687

Surfers.

DSC_0692

Cute beach art. I should have gone to the other side to take the picture. I figured I could just rotate it, but that looks funny.

DSC_0695

More foggy woods. I really love the fog! It was starting to get late, and we were hoping to hit Tillamook Cheese Factory before they closed. We were all a little bummed as we were quite enjoying this pretty area, and wanted to explore more.

DSC_0698

Foggy bay I believe this is Tillamook Bay but I am not sure. Odie says this is what Alaska looks like all the time.

We made it to Tillamook Cheese just in time! After that we returned to the hotel and relaxed some.

As I planned my vacation, I went, oh, only 2 hours away? that’s not a big deal! I didn’t realize that really meant 4 hours of my day stuck in a car. Haha, no I am glad for the adventures I have had, and the things I saw, but it does feel like it eats into the vacation a bit.

I have one more day of adventuring to share so stay tuned!

No comments: