Thursday, April 3, 2014

Barnard Creek


I really didn’t think there was going to be much to the trail but have been wanted to do it for a little while now so off we went. Last time I tried to do this I started at the Parrish Creek Trailhead and tried to hike the Bonneville Shoreline Trail over. Today we found the Rockwood Trail. There isn’t a parking lot, but there is room on the road to park.

Unfortunately this meant we had to hike up the steep foothills to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. It is only about .2 miles but it was pretty steep.

IMG_2371

However that does mean you are quickly above the neighborhoods and getting a nice view. Looks like they are burning phragmites.

IMG_2372

Pretty gnarly nest.

After a short jaunt on the BST we found a trail heading up towards the canyon.

IMG_2376

After some more open hillside hiking eventually the trail dips down into the scrub oak filled canyon.

IMG_2379

And before long the creek itself.

IMG_2380

A fun rock outcropping.

IMG_2385

I was just thinking that this trail can’t be used very often, and then there is a bridge. Alrighty then, guess I was wrong. It does seem pretty thin though.

IMG_2387

See, pretty thin.

IMG_2388

Strange looking rock next to the creek.

IMG_2389

IMG_2390

There is a nice little camp spot with a fire pit nestled between this small cave a pretty creek.

IMG_2396

If I remember correctly there was another bridge before here, but here there is not one. It was a pretty easy spot to cross though.

IMG_2397

Couple of nice cascades here.

IMG_2403

Starting to hit some pines.

IMG_2404

Mossy rock!

IMG_2407

I think I caught this better on the way down, but eventually you will hit a very large rock, with another crossing. The crossing is easy. However, the already pretty steep trail is about to get even more steep.

IMG_2408

Another mossy rock. After that long steep section it finally flattened out a little. Good, because I don’t think we could handle much more UP.

IMG_2412

And just around the corner is this lovely waterfall. I just love the mossy alcove behind it.

IMG_2413

IMG_2419

IMG_2423

IMG_2432

Roxy checks it out.

I am glad we made it this far. Really neat little waterfall.

The trail continues past this, but we honestly didn’t expect to get this far today, and it was really steep and slick to get above the waterfall, so we decided it was time to turn around. Might have to return and see what else this canyon has to offer.

IMG_2435

The cascades below.

IMG_2436

Twisted trees.

IMG_2438

And we’re already back to the big rock. Pretty quick return trip! Due to how steep that section of trail is, I suspect there might be another waterfall, or cascade, but if there is, I couldn’t see it.

IMG_2449

View down the canyon.

IMG_2456

There are a few rockslide areas, here the trees caught one.

IMG_2471

Something a little ways off trail caught my eye, and I found a random little camp site.

IMG_2480

On the way up and down could here, and kept getting glimpses of a waterfall below. The trail never did lead to it, but I thought we might be able to see it from a bridge I saw below.

IMG_2482

Quick look back at the canyon.

After we reached the BST again we decided to hike towards the bridge to see if we could see the waterfall.

IMG_2505

Well, it’s a better shot but still not great. Luckily there appears to be a trail back.

IMG_2487

This trail is much thinner and a little tougher, but it follows some nice cascades.

IMG_2490

And we’re here! Short little trail.

IMG_2494

IMG_2497

Pretty neat waterfall! I wonder if that part in the middle is just a shelf, or if it’s bowl shaped and there is a pool up there.

IMG_2498

IMG_2501

Rather pretty bonus waterfall. I am glad we sought it out.

IMG_2506

And getting back to the BST offers a lovely view below.

Well that was a lovely hike, I am super glad we explored this little canyon. It was definitely a little on the tough side but wasn’t very long, for what we did. According to my pedometer app, it is about a mile to the waterfall, and then an additional .15 miles (from where the original trail began on the BST) to the second one so about 2 and a half miles total today.

Considering it was pretty, and had 2 pretty little waterfalls and was abandoned, I am going to go with 8 squirrels. Losing one for difficulty, and one for thinness.

squirrels 8

As for difficulty I am going with a DR4 there were a lot of steep uphill sections and some stream crossings, which while not bad this time of year might be a little rough during high runoff.

No comments: