Sunday, May 17, 2015

Temple Quarry Trail

 
At the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon is a very short, paved trail system that has a bunch of informative signs to give you a little insight to the history. This is where they quarried the granite into the stones for the Salt Lake Temple.

A couple of weeks ago we hiked the Granite Trailhead to Lower Bell Reservoir and saw tons of split rocks and some with what appeared to be drill markings in them all over that trail. At first I was confused, but after thinking about it I remembered that the quarry was not far from there, and figured it was probably related. So I decided to come check it out to see if I was right.

Quick Details:

Length: .3 Miles
Difficulty: DR2 Easy Peasy. Paved
Elevation Gain: Negligible. 10 feet?

To get here head towards Little Cottonwood Canyon. If taking 90th, pass Wasatch BLVD, and continue up hill. Just before the stop sign that goes up in the canyon is a very small road on the right hand side. If you come from the other direction, turn right at the stop sign just before the canyon, and immediately turn left onto the small road. there is a small parking lot.

IMG_3839

The first thing that strikes you is the towering cliffs above you. Normally, you are doing, oh what is the speed limit in the canyon, 35, 40ish? so not exactly best conditions for getting a picture.

IMG_3838

Thin waterfall running down the cliffs.

IMG_3843

Something caught my eye so I took a thin side trail and found this old spillway.

IMG_3845

Okay, I know we had a lame winter, but seriously the creek shouldn’t be bone dry!

IMG_3848

Some more of the spillway.

IMG_3852

From above. A nearby sign informs us this was an old dam for an old power plant. It also explained the creek is dry here because it has been diverted up-stream for a newer power plant. Huh. Growing up not far from here you’d think I would know that.

IMG_3857

Landis perched upon a large boulder, which has a drill hole.

IMG_3861

I decided to join him up there and WOW! What a great view! Perfect U shaped canyon opening.

IMG_3863

And a great view the other way up as well.

IMG_3867

I decided to crawl down to see the other side of the old dam.

IMG_3869

And the bottom of the giant boulder. Here is some evidence of quarrying finally! Some drill holes. Looks like they were unsuccessful with this big one, not for lack of trying.

IMG_3872

Another look up canyon.

IMG_3874

Towards the end of the paved loop there was a definitely beaten dirt trail. Not too far down we found this old building.

IMG_3878

Open window on the side…

IMG_3876

WHOA!!! Neat! and old turbine!

IMG_3881

And here are the old buckets. This is pretty fascinating.

IMG_3882

Old spillway.

IMG_3887

Some wildflowers.

IMG_3889

The other side of the canyon.

Well we headed back down the other side of the loop and didn’t see much more. Uhm.. what gives? Don’t get me wrong there were quite a few things of interest here, but, uh, it’s the Temple Quarry Trail, where is the quarry stuff?

IMG_3836

Decided to look at the map a little closer. Ok, we missed that swoop in the middle at the bottom of the stairs, and the one on the right. And what is that back trail?

IMG_3892

IMG_3891

Ok. here we go. Starting to see some squared stones.

IMG_3895

And some split stones, with signs of drilling.

IMG_3896

Which was a bit more labor intensive than I originally imagined.

IMG_3900

They didn’t have to go very deep, or probably didn’t want to.

Well I am glad to finally find some solid answers to my theory! Now we decided to check out the non paved back trail.

IMG_3904

Nice shot of the empty stream bed.

Ok. The map said there was a bridge, there is no bridge. Not sure if it is out of date and they have since been torn down, or if that is a future plan?

After looking at the map again I have learned you should actually look at the legend and not assume.. haha. What I assumed was “non paved trail” was actually proposed trail. So, maybe there is an unpaved trail back there, maybe there isn’t but it is planned to be added one day. In my defense, there was a dirt trail across from the swoop, leading down to the river bed.

IMG_3908

View down stream. We tried to stumble up the stream bed, looking for signs of the trail with no luck. So we decided to go down the other (western) arm of the paved trail.

IMG_3910

View of the north side of the canyon again.

IMG_3916

IMG_3915

The main quarry monument. Doh!

IMG_3917

IMG_3918

A couple more rocks.

I feel like there are more examples of quarrying on the Granite Trail than there were on this one. I do appreciate the informative signs, but I was left feeling a little.. meh. Actually I was more interested in the old power stations than I was the stones. Perhaps there are more back in the proposed section. Either way, it is neat, short at 3/10th of a mile, very family friendly, interesting, and of course pretty. Worth checking out if you have an extra half hour or so. A solid 8 out of 10 squirrels. Learn from my mistake, ignore the middle entrance and the stairs, use either other entrance and exit the other side, and don’t miss the quick little side arm at the base of the stairs.

squirrels 8

Difficulty: I’m going with a DR2. It’s short, completely paved. There are some stairs at the middle entrance, but I found you can bypass them by ignoring the middle entrance.

Little Cottonwood Canyon is watershed, so dogs are not allowed. Yea, the water is diverted further up-stream so I suppose there is a slight chance there is an exception here, but I didn’t see any signs supporting that, and honestly wouldn’t risk it myself unless I found out for sure. So still marking it no.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: