Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Stump–Artesian Well


I’m a sucker for weird things, and springs, and well this is kind of both. At the north end of Ogden there is a tree stump which has water flowing out of it. Supposedly some of the best tasting water around. I had heard of this thing not too long ago and when I discovered we were nearby I decided that we should go check it out.

It is located in North Ogden at 2641 N 400 E St basically head north on Washington BLVD. You will see a McDonalds on the left, which shares a parking lot with the park.

IMG_4397

Well, lets get right to it, here is the stump. You can see the 2 drinking fountains on this side of it. According to the signs, the original well was drilled in 1930. In 1931 a nearby hamburger stand had some of the water piped over to their stand. They added an old Cottonwood trunk that was hollowed and and sculpted into a drinking fountain. Neither of the signs say what happened to the original stump, but this fiberglass replica was built in 1998.

IMG_4402

On the other side there are 2 free flowing pipes to fill larger containers with. Another cool thing, I guess the family donated the land to North Ogden with the stipulation that it will never be commercialized. And that it will be tested twice a month to ensure the water is still safe to drink. I love hearing things like that.

IMG_4403

Drinking fountains and pipes. The water, tasted like water. It was good but not like, amazing. However I suppose if you are used to typical Ogden water it probably is pretty good. Not dogging Ogden water, it’s not that bad at all, but there is definitely a weird taste to it as compared to other Utah towns.

IMG_4405

A small exposed section of the North Ogden Canal.

IMG_4407

IMG_4409

Continuing a little further into Bicentennial Park there is a nice little pond monument.

IMG_4414

Some seagulls crash the duck party.

IMG_4419

IMG_4420

IMG_4422

Some plaques for the local Veterans. Which resulted in an interesting conversation with Mah.

Mah: “Oh _____, I worked with him.” name removed for privacy
Me: “Oh. wow uh, is… is that weird to see someone you know has been memorialized on a plaque?”
Mah: “Eh. It happens when you get to be older.”
Me: “Huh.” letting that sink in.
Mah: “Oh, I know this guy too.”

Really fascinating glimpse into the mind of an elder. From a generation that went though much tougher times than mine has. I really should sit down with her and ask more about it.

IMG_4426

If I read the sign above correctly, this is where the original well site was located. It wasn’t flowing today though. Not sure it it ever flows anymore, or what.

Well that was a neat little adventure. Great to squeeze in if you are in the area and don’t have a lot of time. Its historical, neat, and well, bizarre. And well, you can get yourself a nice drink of water. I’m not sure if its worth going out of your way to see, and I am glad I didn’t myself. However, I am glad we stopped by while we were in the area.

Not much to it, so no squirrely rating. But, it is neat. I am aware of two more artesian wells that I plan on visiting soon. So, there is something to look forward to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I grew up in North Ogden and when I was young, the stump was actually just barely south of the intersection of 2600 N and Washington Blvd. At the time it was next to an old business (an abandoned gas station, i think). The stump had some metal around it to hold the stump together because the stump was rotting away. The road going out to the freeway wasn't there yet. it was all field and farm.

I would like to use your pictures in my classroom to teach my students about our local sources of water. Would you be willing to give me a copy?

Unknown said...

Sorry, I should say, I would like to use the pictures of the stump for my class.

Random Rambler said...

Malanie I apologize for the delay. That would be great, you can absolutely use the images. Sounds like a great lesson.