Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mule Hollow


Due to all of the rain recently, I started feeling a little cooped up. So with a break in the clouds I decided to just go do something. So, my plan today consisted of doing a couple quick stops in Big Cottonwood Canyon. And well, while trying to locate a particular vantage point I stumbled upon this unmarked trail. I only learned of it’s name after we got home and did some research. It is a steep, STEEP trail that crosses the stream quite a few times. Which I guess normally probably isn’t a big deal but we went after a large storm so it was pretty swollen. I’m not sure how far we went today, but I did learn there are several mines near the top between 2 and 3 miles up.

To get here drive 3.1 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon, pass the Storm Mountain picnic area, and the cut in the rock right after it, and turn left into the small dirt parking lot.

IMG_3690

Our first stop was the quartzite mound just above the Storm Mountain picnic area. Looking down canyon towards that.

IMG_3691

Looking up canyon. You can see the pull out for Mule Hollow on the left there.

IMG_3833

And the trail head. Like I mentioned I really just intended on running up a little ways to see what was up here, and well, we just kept going.

IMG_3697

Nice little stream.

IMG_3698

Which the trail follows for the most part.

IMG_3700

First stream crossing, this one wasn’t too bad.

IMG_3701

The first of a few primitive campsites.

IMG_3703

Landslide section.

IMG_3706

The stream is pretty.

IMG_3709

Navigating another crossing.

IMG_3710

Getting into the thick wilderness.

IMG_3713

Another campsite.

IMG_3720

I believe this is Storm Mountain.

IMG_3725

IMG_3734

Nice and green up here right now.

IMG_3737

Really now? How am I supposed to cross here? Well.. we managed.

IMG_3739

Little bit of water on this part of the trail. Another landslide on the right.

IMG_3741

IMG_3742

The stream again.

IMG_3743

Vegetation getting pretty thick again.

IMG_3744

Storm mountain again.

IMG_3745

Pretty yellow flowers.

IMG_3752 - Copy

Some.. strange insect on these flowers.

IMG_3755

Nice little cascade.

IMG_3756

Eek. The trail is really wet here.

IMG_3757

Nice and green.

IMG_3758

Pretty flowering tree.

IMG_3761

This part of the trail was flowing with water.

IMG_3784

Oh, it’s a spring.

IMG_3763

Pretty forest.

IMG_3767

Another shot of the creek.

IMG_3775

IMG_3777

It’s really green up here.

IMG_3778

Storm over.. Storm Mountain.

I didn’t know what might be up this trail and really didn’t like putting all that effort in for nothing, but it was starting to rain so we turned back.

IMG_3782

Pretty forest.

IMG_3788

Water flowing over a rock.

IMG_3793

I learned today that is is a lot harder to go down a wet trail than up. It’s harder to judge a good sturdy place to step.

IMG_3795

Some other obstacles to get around.

IMG_3802

I like this view of the mountains.

IMG_3808

Log dam.

IMG_3811

Okay this one is my favorite shot of the day.

IMG_3813

And I am fairy certain this is looking into Stairs Gulch. Another great hike.

IMG_3815

Fairly long stream crossing.

IMG_3817

This really makes me angry. Why do idiots feel the need to tag pretty areas?

IMG_3818

More green woods.

IMG_3819

Another primitive campsite.

IMG_3823

Back to the larger landslide area. I just love the way the trails look through these as they all slowly flatten down and turn into almost a cobblestone path.

IMG_3829

Storm Mountain behind a large rock ridge.

IMG_3831

The stream rushing towards Big Cottonwood Creek.

IMG_3832

And the parking lot sure cleared out.

That was a tough hike! Seriously UPhill with a lot of obstacles including several creek crossings. My pedometer app, which is usually seems pretty accurate put us at a half mile up today. I am certain we did more than that, however it was steep so maybe the extra work made it seem longer. Not sure. But we didn’t make it to the mines either. I’m not gaga over mines but it would have been nice to reach something. However the views of Storm mountain were spectacular! and there were not very many people on this trail either. Not going to rate it due to not completing it, but I would probably settle on a 7.

As for difficulty, well this is going up to a DR5 it was really steep, and my legs are still kind of barking at me. Plus with all the obstacles, it almost felt like the trail was doing everything it could to keep you from going up.

Big Cottonwood Canyon is Watershed so dogs are not allowed.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: