Thursday, September 10, 2015

Bloomington Petroglyph Park


This park is really a giant boulder that has a lot of petroglyphs on it. There is seriously nothing else there but this boulder. I couldn’t find any information regarding the history of the park at all. What little info I was able to find is that there are shapes of people, animals, and possible old trails.

It is in the middle of a neighborhood, and it makes me happy that it was preserved among the development, and really happy that it doesn’t appear to have too much modern tagging on it being in the middle of suburbia. I thought it was pretty cool.

IMG_8871

Park Sign

IMG_8872

The boulder. It looks like it was one large boulder that (my guess) fell from the cliffs behind it, landing here, where it cracked into 3 pieces.

IMG_8892

Side view of the split boulder. Kind of like a hamburger that fell on its side.

IMG_8863

There are actually a ton of petroglyphs clustered here.

IMG_8866

IMG_8878

IMG_8882

Top middle appears to be a big horn sheep ascending the cliffs.

IMG_8884

I like the spirals.

IMG_8886

Lizard.

IMG_8889

It is in the middle of suburbia and there is nothing else here other than random houses, but I am glad we stopped by. I love this kind of stuff.

This is probably going to be my first post to get a DR1 rating. Seriously, no work involved here. Park, and walk a couple of feet to get an up close view of this amazing history.

No comments: