Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Snow Canyon State Park: The Cinder Cone Trail


I honestly don’t know what I was thinking when I decided to do this trail. It corkscrews around and then up an extinct volcano ending with a view of an extinct volcanic crater. It sounded absolutely fascinating… I just didn’t anticipate it being so steep. We did not complete this trail, but I will still include my short adventure.

Quick Details:

Length: 1.5 miles round trip.
Difficulty: DR5 very rocky and some long, rocky sections of up.
Elevation Gain: 500 ft.
Pets: No.
Restroom: No. The closest one is back in the park at the Upper Galoot Picnic Area.
Fee Area: Snow Canyon charges $6.00 per car day use area.
Special Note: You are in the desert with little to no protection. Be sure to pack plenty of water and protection from the sun. Also, this is sharp lava rock you are hiking over. Long pants and good shoes are strongly recommended.

IMG_8753

The cinder cone.

IMG_8755

Again the trail is very well marked.

IMG_8759

The trail curves around the backside of this cone.

IMG_8768

And offers a view of this smaller one.

IMG_8771

I was hoping that with the trail curving around the back it would be an easier climb back here… but it almost looks more steep. I was not in the mood to climb this beast today. As interesting as it sounds, I just wasn’t up for it today.

IMG_8776

Raptor over the cone.

IMG_8777

Some of the trail you are really walking over sharp basalt lava.

IMG_8781

Looking back towards Whiterocks.

Meh. I would have rather done the Lava Field Trail. But I did wuss out and not actually climb the cone in the heat, and it sounds like it is probably actually pretty cool up there. With it being an extinct volcano crater. It really did sound fascinating, I guess I was hoping the trail up on the back side would be a little less intimidating.

Failing to complete the trail I wont rate it, but what I did do was pretty nice. Be sure to wear good shoes, as the rocks are rather sharp and tough!

As for difficulty, we did turn around before the super tough part, but I am going to go with DR5. It is a pretty steep on a loose rock trail.

Dogs are not allowed on this trail.

Copy of dogsno

No comments: