Friday, September 11, 2015

St. George Vacation: Pt. 2.


See Part 1: Day 1 and 2 here.

Day 3: Exploring St. George.

As far as I know, I have never stepped foot into St. George before. If my parents ever took me, I was too little to remember. Anyway, I was honestly quite shocked to realize it wasn’t a small town, no it is a sprawling city in the desert. So we decided to explore.

The first thing to grab my attention was the Dinosaur Discovery Museum at Johnson farm.

IMG_8787

It is a great little museum with TONS of dinosaur footprints. I highly recommend it.

After that we stopped to get a bite to eat at a place that was right next to the Visitor Center. So we stopped in to see what other fun stuff we could find. Surprisingly, there was an official guide that offered a couple petroglyph locations. Now that is my kind of adventure!

IMG_8873

Next stop was Bloomington Petroglyph Park. It is a big boulder, but there are a lot of petroglyphs on it.

IMG_8896

The next one sent us the 4 miles south across the Arizona State Line. So, I can cross Arizona off my list of states I have visited.

IMG_8898

Unfortunately this one turned out to be a bust. It did say dirt roads, but they were not very good dirt roads that were hilly so we decided to turn back. But not before I got out and stepped a physical foot into the state.

IMG_8903

Pink and white hills (DBP).

We then decided to check out historic down town. There is a self guided walking tour you can take, Stop by the St. George Chamber Of Commerce on 100 e. St George Blvd. to pick up a guide map.

IMG_8904 - Copy

The historic Dixie sign.

IMG_8907

The Dixie State D.

IMG_8910

The Jail House. Assumed to be built around 1880 by Sherriff Hardy.

IMG_8911

Apparent that is was used as a jail because the original bars are still in the windows.

IMG_8915

Brigham Young’s Winter Home.

IMG_8916

Kitty Corner from Brigham Young’s Winter Home sits Seven Wives Bed and Breakfast. It makes me giggle.

IMG_8921

Old looking fire truck, with an old looking logo.. a little google-fu later it would appear that this is the logo for the modern Life Is Good Company who sells apparel.

IMG_8923

Continuing on the St. George is weird theme, palm trees. Now that I think about it, I remember a news story last year, or the one before, that an unusual cold snap almost killed them off. But, I really had no idea how common they were down here.

After this we grabbed some dinner, then watched our 3rd and final show at Tuacahn. Vacation goes by so quickly!

Day 4: Cedar Breaks National Monument and the drive home.

The next morning we had breakfast with Mah, spent a little time visiting, and then said good by to her and to St. George.

IMG_8929

The Virgin River (DBP).

IMG_8931

Red cliffs (DBP).

IMG_8934

Lava rocks all over the mountain side (DBP).

IMG_8963

On the way down we passed a sign for Cedar Breaks National Monument. Neither of us had ever been, it didn’t seem too far out of the way, so we thought we’d go check it out. More photos in the link.

IMG_9024

Pretty colored mountains (DBP).

I was hoping we could swing by Freemont Indian State Park, but we were running out of daylight. Cedar Breaks took a little longer than I had planned. Meh, next time.

IMG_9029

Mt. Nebo (DBP). There is a great scenic byway on the back side of this that is a fun adventure.

IMG_9040

Mt. Olympus getting the last rays of light (DBP).

And that concludes our fun adventure down in St George. I know there are some other exciting things to do, and if I return, I will do so during a less hot time of year so that we can explore.

No comments: