Saturday, March 10, 2018

Legacy Parkway: Mill Creek TH Loop

The Legacy Parkway Trail is a 14 mile paved trail that runs alongside Legacy Parkway.It’s a great easier option for running or biking but not really what I would call a fun hike. It’s not quite what I had planned today. I noticed the Mill Creek Trailhead and thought that might be a nice trail following a creek. Well it does not, but we made due and just kind of winged a little loop within West Bountiful. You do have a few options from this trail, going North like we did, south or you can even use it as an alternate TH to Bountiful Lake.

IMG_6336

Mountain Views from the Legacy Parkway Trail.

Quick Details:

Length: 3 mile loop.
Difficulty: DR2. Super easy.
Elevation Gain: About 29 feet but it seems flat honestly.
Restroom: No, there is one at nearby Bountiful Lake.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info: More of a city walk trail, not so much nature.

To Get Here:

Take 400 N or 5th south in Bountiful to 1100 W. Head north to 1200 North. Head west for a block or 2 till you hit the TH.

The Trail:

IMG_6333

When we arrived I realized there was no trail east. I saw the Legacy Parkway Trail and I saw this tunnel under Legacy Parkway so I thought we’d try that way.

IMG_6334

Oh this goes right to Bountiful Lake. We have done this one quite a few times recently so we decided not to do that today.

IMG_6335

We decided to head north on the Legacy Parkway Trail instead.

IMG_6336

Great views of the mountains.

IMG_6338

Mueller Park which is actually where Mill Creek originates.

IMG_6342 - Copy

IMG_6345 - Copy

IMG_6349 - Copy

We found a couple killdeer.

IMG_6360

Passed this super friendly horse. Came right up to say hello.

IMG_6362

IMG_6364

Well. That is interesting. I thought it was The Jordan River that fed Bountiful Lake. But it is actually Deuel Creek, Stone Creek and Barton Creek (which I think is what comes out of Holbrook Canyon). Not sure if they naturally combined and then were put in this canal or if the city diverted them some. It has always boggled my mind how much the early settlers preferred to redirect and bury creeks.

IMG_6365

We noticed this side trail, which is the Onion Parkway Trail. The constant noise of the traffic on Legacy Parkway was starting to irk me so we decided to follow this one for a bit.

IMG_6369

See it’s just not nearly as pretty in a cement canal.

IMG_6373

Nice view of the mountains.

IMG_6383 - Copy

IMG_6390 - Copy

IMG_6392 - Copy

we saw a hawk hunting above. I believe it is a red tailed hawk.

IMG_6400

Couple of ducks.

IMG_6404

I kind of wanted to keep following the creek(s) but we hit the Denver and Rio Grande Western Rail Trail and I thought I could make a loop.

IMG_6415 - Copy

Pretty blue guy.Not sure what he is. I’m between a Western Scrub Jan and a Pinyon Jay.

IMG_6417

This trail is away from the traffic, but does go between neighborhoods.

IMG_6421

Neat old barn and silo.

IMG_6422

Holbrook Canyon above.

I recommend taking Pages Lane back down to the Legacy Parkway.

IMG_6431

A couple of doves.

Meh.

We were looking for something new and easy to take the dogs out to get some exercise and well, we did accomplish that. Plus it was neat seeing some different birds and discover the creek(s) that feed  Bountiful Lake. However, I didn’t particularly care for this trail system. I might be willing to follow the trail along the creek a little further up to see if there is anything neat up there, but I think this should be left to the nearby residents or for easy bike paths. Going with 3 out of 10 squirrels.

3 Squirrels

As for difficulty, I mean it completely paved and easy DR2.

Dogs are allowed. Please be sure to clean up after your furry friends.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: