Sunday, February 24, 2019

Davis Creek - Urban Nature Walk Section

There is a nice little nature trail along the lower section of Davis Creek in Farmington called the Urban Nature Walk Section. We’ve explored the much tougher upper sections of it before (link above), so I thought we would come check out the lower segment. It was a lot shorter than I was expecting. I thought it was 7/10 one way, but it is actually 7/10 of a mile out and back. So, really short. But it was a nice little stroll and a nice break away from the Legacy Parkway Trail we have been doing recently.



Quick Details:

Length: 7/10’s of a mile out and back.
Difficulty: DR3. Super easy.
Elevation Gain: 83 feet
Restroom: No
Dogs? Yes, please clean up after your furry friends.

To Get Here:

From NB i15 take exit 322. Take the right fork on the exit towards 200 w. Take the very first right onto Frontage road. Take that beyond the stop sign on Glovers lane and turn left onto 1150 S. Take the first left again on 110 west. Drive to the end of this street and find a place to park. You will se a paved path between houses with one of the Farmington Trail signs.

The Trail:



The trailhead at Sound Wall Park. You will take the right at that fork back there, otherwise you will end up on Frontage Road again.



Then the pavement ends and you have another fork. Both paths connect again later, but as you will see on the way back, the official trail is to the left.



Then you will be in some lovely woods, and you will see a couple random tree houses.



Where both paths meet again.



The the path skits this property line for a minute. Still lovely back here.



Davis Creek is dry down here right now. I guess in the spring it should be going.



Lovely view of the mountains.



Oh neat. I can’t recall the last time I have seen a tire swing! I decided not to give it a go, didn’t want to risk breaking something I am sure the locals kids enjoy.



A couple nice benches to rest on.



Eventually it opens up a bit and you get a nice view of the mountains.



I don’t think I got a better picture of it, but you can see the canyon Davis Creek comes down from to the right there.

Eventually the trail took us to a road, 200 e. This is officially the end of the line, but since I was expecting 7/10’s of a mile, and we had yet to go a half mile we looked to see if it continued. There was a thin trail that followed the gully up a little further, but now I know it is not the official trail. There wasn’t much to it either. I did not see any ‘Private Property’ or ‘No Trespassing’ signs, but, I am not sure if this was private or public land. So, continue at your own risk.



The path up next to this rock wall.



More thick woods.



Oh, there is a little bit of water in the creek up here.



Little frozen waterfall.



I am pretty sure the trail we have been following is a deer trail, and maybe one the local kids use, and eventually it ended and looked like I might be veering into private property, so we called it.



Davis Creek again.



Red and green spiky leaves.



Back down to the road.

We added an additional .35 miles out and back with this random addition. I would say just skip it and turn around when you hit the road.



I didn’t have my telephoto lens in, and it was a little far away so I’m not sure, but I think this is a bald eagle flying away from Farmington Bay WMA up to the mountains for the night.



Back to the official trail.



Speaking of, you can see the ponds at Farmington Bay from here.



Back into the little gully,



Little bird in the brambles. I think it’s a little funny, these bushes are thick and thorny, yet when we get too close these little birds freak out and scramble to fly out of them. Honestly I think they are safer in them but I get they would just rather get away from us.



Back into the lovely woods.



The trail split. There is a trail sign pointing right, so that is the official trail, but the trail to the left will get you back as well.



Forest.





Tree houses, fun. I miss living near a gully. I mean, I don’t think I would be out there constructing tree houses anymore, but I do miss the little natural area to run around in and explore.

Well, that was a fun little trail system, disappointed it was shorter than expected, but it was lovely, and it’s a good option to get a quick nature fix in. Not a lot of people, quiet. It is between neighborhoods, but it’s not as bad as some other neighborhood trails can be. Eh, 6 out of 10 squirrels today.



As for difficulty, the official trail was wide, fairly flat and easy going with a mild climb. DR3.

Dogs are allowed. Please clean up after your furry friends.










No comments: