Sunday, December 18, 2022

Liberty Park

 Liberty Park is a large city park located in Salt Lake City. It features a couple ponds, lots of old trees, some play areas, some sporting areas, and of course Tracy Aviary. It’s a pretty park, and all, but I don’t think I would come here just for it. But it is a great add on with the Tracy Aviary.

There are several inner trails and 3 outer loops. 2 paved loops on either side of the road that goes around the park, and one non paved pedestrian only outer outer loop. We did the innermost outer loop. Which sounds kind of silly.

Quick Details:

Length: about 1.3 mile loop. I image the other 2 would be slightly longer.
Trail Type: Loop
Difficulty: DR2
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Several
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

Take i80 to the 7th east exit. head north to 13th South. Turn left, then immediately right. Find a spot and park. Or stay on 7th and turn left on 9th south, left, then left again.

The Trail:

Since we came to do Tracy Aviary, we didn’t bother moving (the parking lot was practically empty). So that is where we started.


We arbitrarily decided to go clockwise. So we started heading north. 


Liberty Park Tennis. Most parks I am used to have a tennis court or 2. This one has at least 8, and I think 4 more indoor ones.


Aww, that is so nice. They offer free tennis balls for your furry friend.


Big ol tree that the leaves are dead, but have yet to fall.



Lots of trees in the park.


Coming around to the east.


The central path.


Park map. I kind of wish I had done the central path today, there are a couple neat sounding things along it.


More trees.


Some large pines just before we go around to corner to head south,


Fun statue of kids playing.


Heading south. Even with the cold weather I am pretty amazed I got as many shots as I did without other people. It’s a very busy park!


Fancy seating areas.



Picnic area with fancy fireplaces.


Little hill that is being used for sledding. I’m sure it’s great, but I mean, I grew up on the benches so I grew up sledding on much bigger hills. However, now that I am thinking about it, I did hate trudging back up those hills to have another go, so maybe a smaller hill is a better option? I guess I should go buy me a sled and try it again LOL.


The Liberty Island Gazebo.


Liberty Park Pond. They drained it earlier this year for maintenance so now it is essentially Red Butte Creek. I thought it would have filled in a little more by now. Oh, I guess the work isn’t scheduled to be complete until the end of the month. Outside link.

Red Butte Creek has been mostly buried in the valley, so it’s nice to see it for a minute. You can see more of it at Miller Park and Red Butte Garden, which we haven’t done the actual garden yet, but we did do the Red Butte Skyline Trail which goes around it. After here, I suspect it feeds the ponds in Tracy Aviary (but have not confirmed that) then goes underground until briefly making an appearance at the 3 Creeks Confluence on the Jordan River Parkway.


Panoramic.


Both of the islands in the pond.


Another panoramic, really showing both islands.


Red Butte Creek flowing across the pond bed.



Rounding the corner to start heading west.


The two islands again.


Duckies!


More hanging out in Red Butte Creek.


Another panoramic.


Back to the borders of Tracy Aviary.


Heading west.


Heading north again.


Some amusement park rides.


Leaving the park (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).


Yucky smoggy day (PSP). I am glad we decided on something a little easier to do today.

As I mentioned, the park is pretty, but not a whole lot to it, so not the most exciting adventure, but it was a good add on to Tracy Aviary to get some additional exercise. 6 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, it is completely paved and fairly flat DR2.

Dogs are allowed but should remain leashed.



No comments: