Wednesday, March 27, 2024

You Are Here: Road Sign Art

 Just outside of the Salt Palace in downtown Utah is an interesting art installation consisting of official looking, yet whimsical road signs that has a central point that says: You Are Here with a little arrow pointing to a bench.

From the archives. I took these pictures back in August of 2016, and realized I never posted this neat little art piece so I decided to do so now. 

Quick Details:

Length: Depends on where you park.
Trail Type: Get out and see.
Difficulty: DR1 to DR2 depending on if you can find nearby parking.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: No
Dogs? Public street leash laws would apply.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

Take i15 to 600 S, exit 306 and head east. Turn left on 300 West. Turn right on South temple, and right again on West Temple. You Are Here will be on the right in front of the Salt Palace. Find street parking.

The Art:


The official looking, yet whimsical street signs. Most of them contain sets of opposite words. “Believe doubt” “lost found”, “Lead and Follow” etc.


Had to black out a few random people… but more signs include: “Inside outside”, “Sacred Profane”, “Lost found”, “Exception rule” and “Surf turf”.


The focal point. You are here, pointing to a bench. I didn't quite accomplish the perfect central view I would have liked to today, but pretty close.

This art piece was installed in 2016 and was meant to be a photo op. So we stumbled upon in when it was fairly new. 


The other side. with signs such as: “A to Z”, “Could Should”, “Work and play”, etc.


Looking back as the overlay centerpiece starts to break apart.


Looking back from the far south end. Some signs include: “Unite Divide”, “Sublime Ridiculous”, etc.

It is a fun little art piece that I am glad I had a chance to walk by.


You can also get a pretty good view of it heading west on 100 S. Image courtesy of Google Maps.

Update 3/31/24

Of course just a few days after I put this post up I happened to find myself by it again, albeit at night. I couldn't decided if I wanted to shuffle this post back to 2016, and create a new one with the new images, or just add the on. Well, I decided to just add them on here. So here are a couple more recent shots.



The Salt Palace all lit up. That high rise to the left is somewhat new. I not sure when exactly it was built but it wasn't there in 2019 according to Google Maps. But there is a gap between 2019 and 2022.


The signs.


Again.


The focal point. I managed to center it a little better this time.

Landis mentioned he couldn’t see it as well live as he could see from my pictures, which I found interesting because I can either way.


I wasn’t quite sure how a panoramic would turn out but not too bad.


The focal point again.


With the Salt Palace tower.



Continuing south.


Windmills and the new high rise.


Heading back the other way.


I did the touristy thing.


Just to the north we found the Salt Chalet.


What in the world is this? My guess it perhaps it was an Olympic Village of sorts? Or well, something to do with the Olympics anyway. But honestly, I have no clue.


Temple Square and the still under construction Salt Lake Temple.



And this is what brought me down here today. I learned that one of Dale Chihuly’s glass sculptures was still in Utah. It is in Abravanel Hall, which unfortunately was not open, and apparently they don’t light it up when they are not open. You can see it though the glass but I would have loved a better view. However it is pretty cool you don’t have to go all the way to Seattle to see his work. I am definitely going to come back.

Well, You Are Here is a fun little touristy thing to do, but probably not worth going out of your way to see. But certainly a fun add on to any adventure you might be doing in the downtown area. 8 out of 10 squirrels.

No comments: