Monday, June 3, 2013

Haight Creek

 

I am just going to start out with: I hated this trail (pretty Ironic if Haight is pronounced like I think it is). It was not a trail, it was a jogging path sold as a trail with the promise of a high chance of seeing deer, foxes, and other wildlife. It was a complete lie. The only reason I am putting the energy into creating this post is because there is no other information on the web other than Farmington’s website. So, I wanted to give people a true representation of what this “trail” is.

We did this today because lately I have been wanting to capture foxes, and while looking for the previous hike I did today in Farmington Canyon, I thought this short, easy “trail” would be a nice addition. So, luckily I did get some good nature in today. Its a shame it ended on such a bad note.

If after reading this you still want to go, then the The Farmington address here is 950 N. 2000 W.

DSC_0541

Well, that address took us to a cement jogging trail where I captured this shot of the canyon we had just hiked in.

DSC_0543

I also found this cool plant. Now that I am looking at this image, I believe this is the alive, not autumn version of these cool red plants I have seen.

Apparently I missed the trial head just south of us (as I discovered shortly) so we drove around the neighborhood looking around.

DSC_0556

I spotted this so we parked. So here is the trail head. Take note of the fence on the right. On the other side are peoples back yards. On the other side of the tree’s is a paved path. I opted to take the dirt path, well in a moment.

DSC_0544

I looked across the street and saw the trail continued down that way and looked more promising so we hiked that way first. I got this nice shot of the pretty skies above, but shortly after the trail dead-ended. So, we went back to the above section.

DSC_0546

Well, we found a sleepy kitty. I am pretty sure this is about the only wildlife you will find.

Hiking Walking through all we could hear were families loudly enjoying their backyards, and dogs barking.

DSC_0547

This a a tiny little alley between neighborhoods.

DSC_0549

Towards the end the reeds at least get tall enough to obscure the houses.

DSC_0551

Haight Creek itself. From my understanding this is during high flow, in the summer it becomes barely a trickle.

Shortly after we reached the end after climbing a short hill I confirmed this is where we were at the address Farmington directed us to. Ok, we just did the “trail” backwards. Time to turn back towards the car.

DSC_0552

Certainly wild.

DSC_0555

Here is the beginning section again, at the bench just after you turn the corner. Hearing all of the families enjoying their yards I almost felt like an intruder that didn’t belong here.

Now, if I lived in this particular neighborhood, I would probably use and appreciate this trail every night as a quick “escape” from the neighborhood. But it is not a trail. Perhaps, before they built the neighborhood this was a great place to see wildlife, deer and foxes and whatever, but not anymore.  I challenge anyone to provide proof of said wildlife within the last year.

My guess (and I have nothing to back this up, just sheer speculation) is that when they started building, environmentalists freaked out, and this teeny little corridor was the result of that. So Farmington put it on their trails website. Dear Farmington, this is a jogging path, not a trail. Please stop directing your visitors to this. I am sure the people living here would also appreciate that.

Squirrel rating 0. Do not waste your time unless you happen to live here. I hate to leave such a negative review of something, however, I feel not doing so would be a disservice to the hikers of my generation. I am happy to explore, but I like to know as much as possible about a trail before I arrive and Farmington just really failed on that this time.

Difficulty rating: DR2. You have a paved option, or a flat dirt path. Both are beyond easy. Farmington states this section is .6 miles.

No comments: