Monday, June 17, 2013

Spruces Campground and Donut Falls

UPDATE June 2014: I recently returned to the area and realized I was totally mistaken on where we camped. We camped at Jordan Pines. So I will be doing a couple edits to this article, all in red. There is a trail up to the falls from the spruces campground (as confirmed in a picture below, which I believe is what caused the confusion). However, I am unsure how long it is. My best guess, looking at maps, is at least an additional mile.

You can see my recent hike from the Jordan Pines Campground here.

My friends organized a giant campout to celebrate a pair of birthdays in the group. When we arrived I realized it was the campsite near Donut Falls. Sweet, I have something to do while we are up here. So just an FYI in case you plan on camping here, from what I can tell this is only group camping sites for 50-150 people. Spruces has a ton of single, and group sites. Jordan Pines is group only. So yea, find a bunch of friends, or camp elsewhere and drive in to Donut Falls.

I’ve done donut falls twice before, but it really is a lovely hike and well, we’re right here so why not take advantage?

To get here, drive 9 miles up big cottonwood canyon. If camping, cross the bridge over Big Cottonwood Creek, and take the first left. Spruces is just East (up-canyon) of Jordan Pines. Drive 9 miles up to Mill Fork D and keep going until you see it on the right. If hiking, drive up Mill D South Fork Rd for about 3/4 of a mile. The pavement ends after a couple of private cabins and you have a semi rough dirt road. There is a small parking lot at the end, and limited street parking. A word to the wise, do not park where the signs say no parking. The last 2 times I was here I saw rangers ticketing.

After arriving and greeting everyone we set off to find a good tent site for us.

DSC_0282

Well hello we have wildlife! He just sat there staring at us. I guess its not just headlights, they just freeze and stare.

DSC_0285

I went around the trees to get a better shot and then he decided to take off.

DSC_0289

This shot makes me chuckle.

DSC_0296

Caterpillar.

DSC_0298

Okay tents up, now we can explore.

DSC_0299

Pretty view across the canyon.

DSC_0302

This trail leads to the tent sites, but it also continued on, so we thought we would see what else is up here.

DSC_0304

Another caterpillar.

DSC_0305

Nice clearing.

DSC_0307

Well, what do we have here? Some moose!

Copy of DSC_0307

Quick crop. Naturally this shot just will not do, I decided to run back to the car and grab my telephoto lens.

DSC_0308

Luckily they were still there when I got back. Looks like two babies.

DSC_0309

And there’s mama.

DSC_0311

She didn’t taker her eyes off of us for a second! Yea, thank you telephoto lens, I seriously do not need to get any closer.

DSC_0328

Mama, and one baby looking at me. I wonder how common it it for a moose to have two babies.

Copy of DSC_0328

Cropped that one in a little closer.

DSC_0329

One last shot of the clearing. You know, I bet this trail goes all the way to Donut Falls.

DSC_0331

DSC_0337

The moon is out.

DSC_0339

The marshmallow queen.

DSC_0348

Stars.

DSC_0359

DSC_0360

DSC_0363

Decided to try my hand at star trails. Not a bad result.

DSC_0374

DSC_0375

A couple potgut squirrels showed up while we had breakfast.

DSC_0378

Pretty blue flowers.

DSC_0382

Creepy bug. Seriously, what is this?

DSC_0385

Pretty flower.

After breakfast and packing everything up we decided to head on up to the trailhead. I had hoped that getting an earlier start would mean the trail would be less crowded, however we didn’t get going until about 11 and were lucky to find an open spot on the street. This is a really popular trail.

DSC_0386

Well, that confirms it. The trail we started yesterday does connect with this trail. Yes it does, but not here. This goes to the Spruces Campground, the trail back to Jordan Pines is below the parking lot of the trailhead.

DSC_0387

Pretty peak.

DSC_0389

The trail overall is fairly hard packed and wide, but also rocky. Watch your step. The first section of it is quite a bit steeper than I remember.

DSC_0396

Tree roots.

DSC_0397

All of these exposed black rocks have been polished smooth by throngs and throngs of hikers passing through. Must be a softer stone than the others.

DSC_0407

Pretty forest shot.

DSC_0410

DSC_0412

And we have reached the creek crossing.

DSC_0413

Which appears to be in need of some repair.

DSC_0416

Some aspens along the trail.

DSC_0419

We both wondered what caused that little blank spot. Probably a gnarly avalanche.

DSC_0422

Pretty view back down.

DSC_0427

After scrambling down a short bouldery section you meet the creek again. This means you are almost there.

DSC_0428

And we’re almost there!

DSC_0429

Very popular trail.

DSC_0431

You can see the waterfall towards the top.

DSC_0433

Landis scrambles across some logs. The canyon is too steep on this side so you must cross here.

DSC_0434

DSC_0441

And now we have the boulders to scramble up which always gives me pause but I have done it before so I know I can do it. However, he creek seems more swollen than before hrm.

DSC_0442

Yep, we need to climb up that. It really isn’t as bad as it looks. Take your time, and evaluate the safest way up and you will be fine.

DSC_0444

We tried really hard not to “wade” however if you want to see the falls, your feet are going to get wet.

DSC_0445

Wet rock.

DSC_0457

DSC_0458

Almost there, just a little more boulder scrambling.

DSC_0459

We made it!

DSC_0465

DSC_0480

The water disappearing into the rock.

DSC_0484

Rainbow in the mist.

DSC_0466

Into the cave I go. The water is definitely deeper than before.

DSC_0468

DSC_0470

DSC_0475

DSC_0493

I love this waterfall!

DSC_0497

Here is the whole thing again. Oooh, I took a video to share the wonderful noise of it.

The problem with phones and video. You use your phone in portrait mode, but youtube and portrait look terrible. So when I suddenly remembered that fact I switched. Sorry for the first couple seconds.

DSC_0502

My favorite thing about this hike, aside from the amazing waterfall that is, is that it brings out my adventurous side. My desire to see the waterfall outweighs my apprehension of scrambling up what looks like large loose boulders that are wet and slippery. And I am greatly rewarded for it.

DSC_0504

Pretty view down.

DSC_0524

I liked this boulder. Every couple of seconds the creek would splash up and send a small cascade down it.

DSC_0529

Coming back down. The worst part about going up is realizing you have to make your way back down, but it’s really not too bad. Again, just take your time, look around and find the best path. Or do what I do and just try to follow the path you took up.

DSC_0536

Yup, we climbed that.

DSC_0542

Pretty spruces.

DSC_0545

Pretty.

DSC_0546

DSC_0550

DSC_0551

Whoa, I managed to get a full shot of it without people in it. Not sure how that happened.

Copy of DSC_0558

Pretty white butterfly.

DSC_0554

Root looking for softer ground.

DSC_0565

View downstream.

DSC_0573

We tried, we honestly did. Well, is there a difference between deliberately walking in the water vs. occasionally stepping in it out of necessity?

DSC_0577

Random tree sticking straight out.

DSC_0580

The short rock climbing section you have to do.

DSC_0581

My feet are just a smidge wet.

DSC_0585

Pretty view down.

DSC_0596

Trail back down.

DSC_0598

Pretty flowering tree.

Copy of DSC_0605

Pretty little moth.

DSC_0607

Pretty bluebells.

DSC_0616

Not sure what these are.

DSC_0617

Hollow stump.

DSC_0621

Spider web.

DSC_0624

Pretty purple flowers.

DSC_0631

And back to the trail head.

I really just love this trail. Even though it is a rather popular trail, and pretty crowded at the best part, it is just a beautiful trail with a fantastically unique waterfall to reward you at the end. The last two times I gave it a 9 and I must say it shall retain that. Loosing 1 just to how crowded the trail is.

squirrels 9

As for difficulty, the beginning is pretty steep but for the most part it is a wide well packed trail with some a few rocky sections so I am going to go with a DR3 up to the base of the falls. If I consider the boulder scramble to reach the falls, I must go with a DR4.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I just love reading about your adventures. Thank you.

Jeff said...

Great info, nice you updated details, informative photos. Thanks for taking the time to post. Helpful for my trip plans this summer.


ps - you should ditch the copyright notices on the photos, pretty distracting. I'm just saying...