Monday, June 24, 2013

Utah Arts Festival 2013

 

This should probably just be renamed to Bandaloop 2013 as that was predominantly what I will be posting about. It is what finally broke the tie of wanting to do something, and not wanting to deal with a crowded event. So we decided to head on down. Boy was it crowded!

So lets see, random parking half a block away: $6.00
2 adult tickets at $12.00 each: $24.00

30 dollars to see this amazing performance: Worth it.

Bandaloop is a traveling dancing troop, with a fairly unique twist.

DSC_0679

No, they are not the window cleaners. Here they are getting ready to go on.

DSC_0684

They do it on the side of buildings. The Arts Festival is right outside our gorgeous new Downtown Library, what better place to put on such a show?

They start out doing some modern dance type moves, which is rather impressive considering they are doing it horizontally on the side of a library.

DSC_0688

DSC_0690

And if that was not impressive enough they start going into more technical moves.

DSC_0696

I was also quite fascinated with their reflections on the glass. It was like another dance partner.

DSC_0702

And then they start flying up off of the glass. Just wow!

DSC_0704

Okay, I had planned on limiting myself to 5 images per set, but I really cannot decide on my favorites.

DSC_0711

The 2nd act was a quick couple swing routine.

DSC_0714

And of course they did some cool stuff too.

DSC_0725

To show how high up they were.

DSC_0720

DSC_0729

I wonder if it is easier or harder to toss a girl hanging off a building.

DSC_0738

Quick solo act.

DSC_0750

DSC_0752

Sometimes the person is cool, sometimes the reflection is cool.

DSC_0757

DSC_0768

I am really enjoying this.

DSC_0793

And now for the last act.

DSC_0801

DSC_0806

Absolutely beautiful! However I do note that If I photoshopped out the ropes, this would look pretty grotesque.

DSC_0820

DSC_0829

DSC_0836

DSC_0878

DSC_0894

DSC_0896

They sure shoot themselves out pretty far!

DSC_0903

DSC_0906

And how else does one bow when dangling off the side of the building? Even that simple move was impressive.

Oh, I took a short video, because well, pictures are great, but for something like this you really need to see it in action.

They performed for about 15 minutes and I was mesmerized the entire time! This definitely made the cost, and putting up with the crowds worth it!

DSC_0922

Speaking of crowds. Holy crap there were a lot of people there!

DSC_0925

The City County Building through the trees.

DSC_0927

A different angle of the library.

DSC_0929

City County Building at night.

DSC_0933

DSC_0936

And the Library at night.

DSC_0939

Walking back to the car this made me chuckle. (Blair Witch Project, dead end…) hahaha I crack myself up.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves, saw some nice art, enjoyed some brew and some friends. I think if I ever decide to go again I will do it on one of the weeknights. Maybe it will be less crowded that way.

No comments: