Saturday, January 26, 2019

Butterfly Biosphere At Thanksgiving Point

Thanksgiving Point has so many neat things to go see. Right now they have a new attraction called the Butterfly Biosphere. From what we can tell it is a limited engagement February - March, we all agreed they put so much into it that it has to be a permanent feature. Time will tell. Anyway, my Mom heard about the new exhibit and mentioned she wanted to go so I thought, we should bring her out to this. It was actually a lot cooler than I was expecting so I am glad we went. Last time we were here we did the Ashton Gardens Tulip Festival and that was pretty cool, so I thought this might be as well.



Quick Details:

Cost: $20 Per Adult. $15 Per Child or Senior. Children Under 3 are free.
Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Reservation Required: Yes. There is limited room so tickets should be purchased in advance.
Additional Information: Dress lightly! It is 80 degrees and 60% humidity in there.
You cannot touch them, but they might land on you. If you want to increase the chance of that, wear bright colors. We noticed they seemed particularly attracted to blue.
If your child is afraid of flying insects, this is not a good choice. The amount of terrified children we saw swatting at these beautiful butterflies was a little upsetting.

The Adventure:



The Thanksgiving Point water tower. The exhibit is right next to this, so pretty easy to find on the large grounds.



Butterfly Biosphere! This is exciting.



Tarantula.



Scorpions.

Okay, the main room they let us in to, appeared to be it. We were very disappointed for a minute because we were expecting an open experience and so far all we can see are these tiny little enclosures and some climb toys for kids. Were were not at all impressed.

Then Landis noticed a glass wall in the back… Oh! There’s the butterfly exhibit! There is a sign at the top of the ramp that says no strollers, no coats. I was a little surprised by the coats deal. It’s to prevent a spot for the butterflies to hide out in, oh and uh, it’s 80 degrees and 60% humidity in there, you don’t want it, trust me.





There is a short wait on the ramp down into the biosphere where they have a bunch of mounted butterflies and other bugs on display.





Eventually you can see into the biosphere, which actually appears to be a giant greenhouse.





Here you start seeing some of the butterflies you will get to enjoy.



I love the colors on this one.

I noticed that they appeared to only let the same number of people in, as the number who came out, so they obviously have a limit to # of humans inside. This is probably a good thing.

Eventually it was our turn and we, and the family behind us were lead to a little airlock style room, basically no direct access into the biosphere. in one door, and it must be shut before the next door is opened. Very similar to how they did it at the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium. This helps ensure no escapes, although it is not perfect as we had a last minute addition to our group of a guy who had a butterfly attached who had to go back in to release it.

Anyway, there is a short little spiel about the rules. Watch where you step, you can’t touch them, but they might land on you. If they do land on you and you don’t like it, don't swat at them, shake your clothes, etc. Then we were allowed inside.





There is a little handout to help identify the butterflies.

*The handout is very helpful but there are lots of factors that come into identifying butterflies and variables including sex, and alternate morphs. I tried to identify as many as I could, but don’t take my word for it. I am fairly confident in the Blue Morphos, Giant Owls, and the underside of the Malachite's, but the rest… eh, not so much.



These were my second favorite ones of the day, and one of the more common in the biosphere, the Blue Morpho.



Here is what the top side looks like. So pretty!



I think there are some butterflies here that are not on the handout. But this one might be the Julia Butterfly, I’m not sure. The wing shape doesn’t seem to match.



A look into the biosphere. They really have created a jungle in here. It’s incredible.





I love the eyeball on this ones wing. This is the Giant Owl Butterfly, named for the giant owl eyeball.



I guess they like oranges.



More of the cool Giant Owls.



Another pretty guy. This one has similar color patterns to the hummingbird moths I saw on Mount Van Cott. I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is a female Great Mormon Butterfly.



Its impossible to get a shot of them flying, but I like the colors here.





A couple of black butterflies. Again, not 100% sure but I believe these are different male morphs of the Great Mormon Butterfly. Bottom one I am a little more confident about.



A bunch of Giant Owls hanging out on the waterfall. I am kicking myself for not getting a picture of the orchids they had growing on the waterfall. I was more interested in the butterflies at the moment. But the orchids were pretty.



Pretty flowers.



Another feeder bowl with a couple of the Blue Morphos.



A little closer to his face.



I think this is a Malachite Butterfly, named after the color of the stone.



I believe the top guy is a zebra longwing and the bottom is a golden longwing.



An open malachite. These guys look like the swallowtails we have seen on local trails like Ferguson Canyon. Although, now I am realizing swallowtail covers 550 different species. I’m not 100% sure which one I typically see around here haha.



The butterflies are just.. everywhere!



Grecian Shoemaker.



If you catch one of the Blue Morphos in the sunshine it is practically magical. They shimmer!



In flight.



Mom and I both really liked this flower but it didn’t have a sign, so I’m not sure what it is.



I think this is the top side view of the Giant Owl.



I love the purple coloring, but can’t seem to find a match for this one on the handout.



Another Malachite. This one shows off the malachite stone color (green) on the wings better.



Not sure what this one is.



Another pretty one I cant identify.



More pretty flowers.





Golden Longwing open and closed.



This very damaged blue morpho shows a good example of what the top and bottom look like.



Another Grecian Shoemaker.



Not the best shot, but these were my favorite. that splash of red against the black is just amazing! Of course, it doesn’t match anything on the handout, and again, not 100% sure, but I think this might be one of the female morphs of the Great Mormon Butterfly.



Popular corner.



Probably the best in flight shot I caught all day.



Not so great, but it does show the shimmery look of them in the sunlight.





Open, closed.



I just love these black as ink ones.

I think this is one of the female morphs. I have gone into the wikipedia rabbit hole trying to identify some of these butterflies and learned a fun fact. Great Mormon butterflies are from Asia, and are not at all located anywhere near here. yet, they are actually named after Mormons. The females have 3 different morphs, so the name is a reference to the old multiple wives things Mormons used to practice.



Another one.



Oh cool! They even have cocoons!



Some recently opened ones.



I didn’t notice any labels until now. Attacus Atlas, that’s the Atlas Moth. I wonder if they will have those, or if these are not living. I would love to see an Atlas Moth, those things are huge!



More cocoons.



OH my gosh! We actually got to see one emerging! How cool is that!



More of the pretty flowers.



The pond and waterfall. One of the workers informed us there is a turtle in there somewhere named Soup. Unfortunately the water was too murky to see it.



Some more of the giant owls. I didn’t think I caught one open today, but I guess I did.





Couple more.



Landis got a little friend.



Then this guy got a friend. They really seem to like blue.



Another decent face shot.



I think this is another morph of the Great Mormon.



Pretty flower.



Pretty guy on a pretty flower.



Pretty flowers.



These ones are called crown of thorns.



Okay I think this is the flying shot of the day.



More pretty flowers.



Another malachite.



Another malachite showing the top side.



I think this one is the Halloween Butterfly, but I’m not sure. The wing shape wants me to say it’s one of the longwings.



I liked these plants too.

Well, we were having fun but had just about enough of the heat and humidity. So we decided to move on.







More of the pinned butterflies.



Giant beetle.



Pretty display.

There actually quite a bit more fun stuff for the kids to enjoy, but since we didn’t have any today we decided to skip those.

After a tour through the gift shop, we stopped by the on site cafe for dinner. The burgers were actually really good, and not too expensive. So, even though there are now a ton of food options around here, no need to leave the complex to get something good and affordable.



The water tower at night.



The Museum Of Ancient Life. I’ve been meaning to come check that out some time. I think I will try to do that this year.

That was a LOT cooler than I was expecting! It was so awesome to see all the butterflies flying all around us, I particularly enjoyed the larger ones, and all the vivid colors. The biosphere is also beautifully landscaped it was really cool. We all had a wonderful time and I would consider making a return trip. 9 out of 10 squirrels.




As for difficulty, it was paved. There was a staircase, but also a ramp so I believe it is ADA accessible, at least through the biosphere. DR2.

It should be obvious, but dogs are not allowed.



No comments: