Saturday, January 5, 2019

Oakridge Preserve

The Oakridge Preserve in Farmington is a paved pathway along some swampland. while it was alright, I don’t think it’s worth going out of your way for it. The little “preserve” is situated between HW89, i15 and Park Lane, and then townhomes on the other side. I felt the same way about this “trail” as I did about Haight Creek. In that, it wasn’t really a trail. It was just me today so I thought I would come check this out as it is paved and no real climb, so it seemed pretty safe to do by myself. Plus, I like to explore these trails as sometimes they are a miss, like today. And something they surprise me and are quite enjoyable like Shepard Creek City Section.

IMG_5708

Quick Details:

Length: 1.24 mile balloon. Or there are a couple additional options to make it longer or connect to nearby trails. Like Shepard Creek.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, flat, easy.
Elevation Gain: None
Restroom: No. Closest one would be the Maverick on Shepard Ln (alternate TH option).
Dogs? Yes, leash required.

To Get Here:

Take HW89 in Farmington to exit 296, Shepard Ln. Head west  Take the first left onto Frontage Rd. Go about 500 feet and turn right on Shepard Church Dr. Park.

The frontage road looks like you are just getting on the freeway so if that startles you like it did me, you can take the next left, Shepard Creek Parkway. Then turn left onto Spring Creek Lane, and Left onto Shepard Church Dr. Follow the curve to the right and park.

Or, park at the Maverick on Shepard Ln., and add about 500 feet to your walk.

The Trail:

IMG_5657

The trail will head south behind the church, next to this canal.

IMG_5658

The little canal. I imagine this is diverted from Shepard Creek.

IMG_5659

The mountains above.

IMG_5662

There is the Farmington Trails sign! I don’t think there is one at the beginning.

IMG_5663

Now we are by the townhouses.

IMG_5665

First little pond. It looks fairly frozen.

IMG_5669

At the south end of the pond you will come to the trail split that makes this a balloon trail. I went left.

IMG_5672

Duckies!

IMG_5675

The pond again.

IMG_5676

Good to know.

This got me to thinking. They developed the west side, with a lot of pushback since it is primary wetland habitat. So, they take this marshland, that is prone to flooding, and probably couldn’t be developed upon anyway and call it a preserve. Gee, thanks.

IMG_5678

Lagoon.

IMG_5680

This one to show how close the trail is to the frontage road and HW89 next to that. Also, this segment of the trail appears to be an old road.

IMG_5681

Small field.

IMG_5683

Farmington Canyon.

IMG_5686

The creek again.

IMG_5687

Now we appear to be on normal paved bike path. That is Park Lane up there.

IMG_5689

Marshland.

IMG_5693

The creek again.

IMG_5694

Nice little forested area.

IMG_5697

The creek and some ponds.

IMG_5699

Now we are approaching i15.

IMG_5700

Nice mountain view.

IMG_5703

Another little pond.

IMG_5706

Found an American coot.

IMG_5708

The pond with the mountains above.

IMG_5710

The next trail split. Right will get you back to where you started, left will continue along to the Oakridge Golf Course. The Farmington Trails page lists a trail around that as well, but we haven’t done that one yet.

IMG_5713

Now we are back to being about 30 feet from the back doors of these townhouses. I don’t know why, but it just kind of makes me uncomfortable.

IMG_5714

The pond again.

IMG_5715

IMG_5718

More ducks and coots.

IMG_5723

The meadow from the other side.

IMG_5725

Back to the first pond.

IMG_5726

Last leg.

IMG_5729

Back to the trailhead.

If I lived in this neighborhood I would probably walk around this area fairly often, but I didn’t think I will return. It wasn’t horrible, but definitely not my favorite. It is a good, super easy option to do in winter to get some exercise. I guess I just don’t like feeling I am walking through peoples back yards even if it’s an official trail. Eh, I will go with  3 squirrels.

3 squirrels

As for difficulty, it is completely paved and flat. DR2.

Dogs are allowed, but should remain on a leash. Please clean up after your furry friend.

Copy of Copy of dogsyes

No comments: