Sunday, June 9, 2019

South Ogden Nature Park

The South Ogden Nature Park is a short paved loop around a narrow marsh. It is pretty, and a good easy option but, it was not my favorite. As I’ve mentioned a few times, when it is just me I try to find easy, more populated options just to be safe. This area was just that so that is a win. Plus the wildflowers are really popping right now so I guess it wasn’t too bad.



Quick Details:

Length: The map says the main loop is .87 miles. I did 1.24 with the extra to and from the parking lot.
Trail Type: Loop.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, super easy.
Elevation Gain: 101 feet.
Restroom: Yes.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.

To Get Here:

Take HW89 to South Ogden. Turn West onto 1050 e. Left on 5700 s. right on 1075 e. left on 5750 s. Left onto Park Vista dr. Left again to stay on park vista. And park.

The Trail:



Area map.



Amphitheater. I still wonder why all of our parks seem to have these. What exactly do we do with these? I get when they are in areas with an active ranger program like Bryce Canyon but I just don't see these get used, ever.





Primrose.



I was expecting a small pond.. and well, there is a little marsh.

I honestly considered just heading back to the car and maybe redoing some of the other ponds around here, but meh, I am here.



Wide paved trail.



The marsh again.



Some pretty blue flowers. I think this is flax.



The mountains above.



Again.



Pretty blue bird.



Overlooking the Weber River canyon.



A little glimpse of the water. For the most part you can’t see it.



The path with the mountains above.



Some penstemon.



The gully.



More flowers.



The marsh again.



More flowers.



Marsh and hills.



Robin.



More flax.



Nearing the northeastern end of the park.



The creek is seriously tiny. weird, because it sounded bigger earlier, but alright.



The trail as it swings west again.



The creek got a little bit louder here and there was this little trail down to it.



Oh, there is another source of water, that explains it.



Forest.





The marsh again.



Again.



Back to the amphitheater. It has a shade! And I noticed the park equipment had shades too. Man, kids today are sure spoiled! There is also a splashpad here so might be a good place to take the kiddos.

Like I mentioned, this was not my favorite trail. I did enjoy the wildflowers though, so that was a plus, but it was just.. well a paved trail around a greenish area. meh. 5 out of 10 squirrels.



As for difficulty, this was paved and generally level. Going with a DR2.

Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed.






No comments: