Friday, July 5, 2019

Mineral Fork: To The Waterfall

Mineral Fork is a steep, steep side canyon up Big Cottonwood Canyon. The trail features some mines near the top, but today we only went to the waterfall. The trail features a pretty forest with views down Big Cottonwood Canyon and right now a lot of beautiful wildflowers. The trail is a constant climb and has some sections with steep drop offs. It’s an old ATV trail so it is fairly wide which usually helps me with my height issues, as I can usually stick to the mountain side, but there were still a few spots that made me really nervous. I am glad we made it to the waterfall, but I don’t know if this one will get another visit.



Quick Details:

Length: MY GPS went a little wonky. It said we did about 1.6 miles up, and just under a mile down. So, we’ll split the difference and say it is about a mile or 2 miles out and back. But the trail does continue about 4.2 miles up or 8.4 out and back.
Trail Type: Out and back.
Difficulty: DR5. This was a constant climb up a steep slope with some rocky parts.
Elevation Gain: About 700 feet.
Restroom: No. The closest one I can think of would be either Mill B down canyon, or Mill D up canyon.
Dogs? No. Big Cottonwood Canyon is watershed.
Other Info: People who have a fear of heights like I do, may struggle with this trail. As I mentioned it is a wider ATV road, but there were still some parts I struggled with, and the reason we didn’t go much farther than the waterfall.
Full sun, not recommended on hot days
Also: I was surprised to learn that ATV’s are still allowed to use this trail. We did not encounter any today, but be aware.

To Get Here:

Head about 5.5 miles from the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and the trailhead will be on the right (south) side of the road.

The Trail:



You know you are at the right place when you see this gate across the road crossing Big Cottonwood Creek.



Big Cottonwood Creek upstream. Looks pretty calm though here.



Downstream looks like pretty much the rest of the creek. Not something to take lightly at all.



Trailhead sign. Holy crap, yes, ATV use confirmed. This trail was scary enough on foot, I can’t imagine doing it on a vehicle!! Also, I am glad we didn’t run into any today. I was struggling enough as it was without having to figure out how to let an ATV pass by.



Looking across canyon. If that side canyon is named, I am not sure what it is.



Heading up.



Fun mossy wall.



Penstemon.



I think this is a field crescent butterfly.



The canyon across the way again.





Indian paintbrush varieties.



The trail very rapidly climbed fairly high up. But as I mentioned it is pretty wide so, so far I am doing okay.



More penstemon. The wildflowers have been spectacular on just about every trail we’ve done lately.



The road below.



Looking down into Mineral Fork Canyon, well, without getting too close to the edge anyway.



Looking down Big Cottonwood Canyon.



Pretty purple penstemon.



Caterpillar nest.



The canyon across the way.



Just past the 2nd switchback. It was about here I started wondering if this was going to be a good trail for me.



More paintbrush.



Starting to get into the canyon proper.



More of the pretty purple penstemon.



Down Big Cottonwood Canyon again.



I think this was the worst section. The drop-off seemed pretty sheer and there is a scree section with loose rocks. But I kind of just focused on the trail and avoided looking down.



Then we reached a section with some foliage on the side, and that makes it a little easier.



Looking down into the canyon.



Forget me nots.



Looking up into the canyon.



Looking back down.



Another field crescent butterfly.



The incline has simmered down a little bit, but it is very rocky. The bottom of the canyon is starting to rise to the trail level as well, so I am relaxing a little more.



Pretty rocks though.



Super green though here and I think we are getting a small glimpse of the waterfall to come.



The creek below.



Geranium.



Thimbleberries.



Water running down the trail.



We have reached the waterfall.



It is a lovely fan of water.



The creek is lovely as well.



Where the side creek crosses the trail and joins Mineral Fork.



Looking down canyon.



The waterfall again.



I think this is a purple monkey flower.



The main creek.


Landis took a video of the creek.



The creek below.





The waterfall is actually pretty tall, but with the lighting today it is kind of hard to see.



Where the side creek crosses the trail.

We had talked about making the waterfall the destination today, but now the trail is absolutely lovely so we decided to continue along.



I wanted to get a picture of this flower but got distracted by a bumblebee.



The creek and the forest.



Random structure out towards the creek.





The creek.



Looking downstream.



Just when I was really enjoying the trail it switch-backed up away from the canyon bottom again. Eh, we’ll check it out no shame in turning around if it gets too bad again.



Back to the side creek.



Looking down the lower waterfall.



The upper waterfall. I am glad we kept going cause it is prettier up here.



From the middle.



From the other side.


Landis took video.



Looking down canyon again.



I wasn’t happy the trail switch-backed up above the canyon again, but decided to try to press on.





Common monkey flower. We first discovered these weird flowers around hot springs in Yellowstone. I was a little surprised when I learned they are native here as well. They like to grow near water like creek beds.



Well, the trail is still fairly wide, but it just getting higher and higher and I am struggling. We decided the waterfall was a great destination and there was no point in suffering along.

Now that I am home again, it looks like it would have switched back again, but I don’t know how how far the trail is high up like this.



Geraniums.



The creek below.



The upper waterfall again.



Very lovely.



Where it crosses the trail.



The creek below.



The forest is incredible.



Trees are so incredible. But, I think this guys is gonna topple before too long.



Back down to the creek.



It’s so green!





Chickweed.



The creek again and the view across the canyon.

Half full sun/half full shade shots are well.. tricky.



The creek.



The lower and upper waterfall. You can just make out where the trail above goes through.





Just the lower segment.



Extra water running down the trail.



Where most of it rejoins the creek.





The creek again.



The trail down.



View.





Silvery blue butterflies. They rarely sit still long enough for a good photo particularly while open.



The worst part for me. Meep.



Peak on the other side of Mineral Fork.



Purple penstemon.



Looking down Big Cottonwood Canyon.



Different Indian paint brush.





Closer.



The road below.



Down canyon again.



Oh. The canyon across the way appears to be used for rock climbing.



Mossy Rock.



Closer.



Back down to the trailhead. Phew! That was a little bit of an intense climb! However, I am happy we made it as far as we did. Although I half wonder if my alternate option for the day would have been better. Meh.



Big Cottonwood Creek again



Looking down canyon again.



Looking back towards Mineral Fork Canyon.



Heading back down the canyon (PSP).

That trail is fairly intense. The trail guide did label it as hard so I definitely agree with that! The trail was nonstop up and I did not particularly enjoy the drop offs. But the waterfall was nice, and the wildflowers were great today. Meh. 7 Squirrels today.



As for difficulty, this one is a hard climb in full sun. Going with a DR5.

Dogs are not allowed as it is watershed. Be sure to leave Fido at home.



No comments: