Sunday, April 12, 2020

Brandon Canyon

Brandon Canyon AKA Bell Canyon Gully is a small Gully in Sandy that features a small stream and a lovely forest. I am not sure why this is considered Bell Canyon Gully. Its quite a bit aways from Bell Canyon, and the stream is Big Willow Creek, coming out of Big Willow Canyon. if any alternate name it should be Big Willow Gully. However, maybe that is why there is an AKA. Maybe they realized it’s not Bell Canyon’s Gully, so it was renamed to Brandon Canyon. Anyway, it was a lovely little adventure that I have been thinking of checking out for a little while. After 2 failed alternates, one that was a nope, and one trail that we deemed to be too crowded right now, this was the next option I thought of that I thought wouldn’t be too crowded and it wasn’t.



Quick Details:

Length: 1.4 mile loop
Trail Type: Loop, or out and back.
Difficulty: DR3.
Elevation Gain: 120 feet
Restroom: No
Dogs? Yes, leash required. Please clean up after your furry friend.

To Get Here:

From i15 take exit 291 for 106th S. Take that east to 1700 E. Turn right. Follow that to Hidden Valley Rd. Turn left. Go about 1000 feet up and look for an opening in a chain metal fence to your left. I recommend swinging past and doing a U-turn to park on the side of the road you are using.
*Note, I looked for signs banning parking on the side of the road, and did not see any, but I am not sure if it is technically allowed.

If coming from the south,the 123rd exit will also get you there.

Alternate trailhead: From 1700 E turn left on 114th S. Again go left but for about 6/10th’s of a mile. Look for the trailhead on the right. Parking here seems a bit more tricky, but I think I saw a dirt parking lot across the street.

 The Trail:



Opening in the chain link fence.



Heading down into the gully.



The robins seem to be eating well today.



Trail split. I didn’t know it at the time, I just followed the stronger trail. But left will stay to the bottom of the gully, and right will be above it.



Looks like some kids built a fort down there.



The mountains peaking up above the trees.



Bridge over the dry creek.



Forest. I bet it is really pretty in here a little later in the year.



More forest.



Narrow section.



You can see some of the homes above, but overall it still feels pretty wild for a neighborhood gully.



The mountains through the trees.



Oh. We found a little bit of water in the creek.



Judging by these sewer grates we are seeing through here, it would seem this gully was slated for development at some point. Wonder what stopped it.



We heard water trickling so we went down to investigate.



Found a storm drain.



Back into the forest.



I thought this seemed like a good area to possibly see owls, so I was keeping my eyes up in the trees. All I saw was this dove.



Wide open area.



Looking up through the trees.



Dry creek bed.



Looking back.



The final bridge. If you intend to do the loop, go ahead and just cross over here. The last section, while short, is nothing special.



Well, I guess you get a nice view of the mountains.



The other end of the Gully and the alternate trailhead I mentioned above.

WHOA!!! I just realized that if I had continued up the road a little bit I would have re-discovered one of the gully’s I used to play in as a kid! Well, this gully, but just a little up-steam. Wow. How fun. I might have to come back and re-explore that section.



This last section up to the end of this trail system is just a useless climb haha. But, we explored the full trail I guess.



Back down to the bridge. I really enjoyed the canyon bottom but thought we would check out the loop.



Creek bed below.



Nice forest up here.



Lovely flowering tree.



This trail is a little thinner, but still lovely.



The trail crosses this service road, while offering a nice view of the mountains.



Picking up the trail on the other side.



Up on an open field.



It’s really surprising they have not developed this area.



Bench with a view.



Looking down into the gully.



There are a couple trails that connect the 2 main trails. I was tempted to go back down a few times, but thought I would check out the full loop instead.



Up on the rim of the gully.



Another one of those weird log structures.



Another flowering tree.



Control valve near the bottom.



Back to the beginning.

That  was a nice little gully, and it was really kind of fun discovering it is one of the ones I used to play in as a kid, just a different section. Both trails are nice, but I think I liked the western trail just a little bit better. There weren’t a whole lot of people in it. Right now it’s still a little blah, but I think in a month or so when everything greens up it will be quite pretty. Going with 7 out 10 squirrels.



As for difficulty, this is about as easy as it gets without being paved. Little bit of a climb, but not bad. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, but must be leashed. Please clean up after your furry friends.













No comments: