Saturday, October 10, 2020

Killyon Canyon Left Fork

Killyon Canyon Left Fork is a lovely trail located in Emigration Canyon that takes you through a narrow hollow filled with a lovely mixed forest. It is a great option to do to enjoy some fall color. We’ve never completed this trail but we just enjoy the lovely walk in the woods. I was interested in the fall color today, and since we have done this one before, I focused more on that than the trail conditions.

Quick Details:

Length: We did 5 miles out and back, it looks like it might be another mile to the end, but I am not sure.
Trail Type: Out and back.
Difficulty: DR3. Its a pretty gradual climb.
Elevation Gain: We did about 928 ft.
Restroom: No. The closest one I know of is at the park at the bottom of Emigration Canyon.
Dogs? Yes, leash required.

To Get Here:

Head approximately 7 miles up Emigration Canyon. At the first hairpin turn there is a road called Pinecrest Canyon Rd. on the left. About 3/10’s of a mile down that rd. you will see a small parking area on the right (signed), and a little overflow area just up on the left (not signed). This is just before the road forks.

You will take the rd on the right (Killyon Dr.) and continue up for about 6/10ths of a mile before reaching the trail.











Heading into Emigration Canyon (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).













Some color (PSP).

The Trail:













Some color right at the parking area. I think this might have been a good choice today.











This is so awesome of this homeowner to do (at least I assume it’s a homeowner and not the city). Using their own can to help lessen littered poop bags.











Where the cement road turns to dirt.











I think my absolute favorite thing about fall is leaves blowing across the road.













Some lovely color.











The trailhead.

You know, it makes me crazy. The signs say no parking, fire lane. However there is plenty of room for at least 10 cars to park safely and still allow firetrucks to come through. I think the homeowners up here are being testy. Although, I will note, I only recently learned of this trail, so I don’t know if it was getting out of control. I do feel some middle ground could be met though.











Some lovely pinks.











Some peach.











Nice mix.











A lot of it has fallen, but there is still a lot to enjoy.











I love the deep purple color the willows get through here.











Some lovely aspens.











Yellows and purples.











The hill sides up here are a bit more muted than down by the parking area.











The creek below.











This quick little climb is probably the worst of it. And it isn’t even that bad.











Some muted colors.











Yellows and purples.











Nice mix of color.











Little waterfall.











Willows and aspens.











I have no idea what these are.











Dedication to the preserve.











Trail sign.











Colorful window.











Little pool of water above the first bridge.













Some more orange.











More yellow. I think these might be elm.











Some color on the hillside.











Willow.











Almost perfectly striped colors.











The creek from the second bridge.











Another short climb. Again, not too bad.











Looking back down canyon.











Oak.











The trail split. Right leads to the ridge. Left is where we are going and goes into the side canyon.











The third bridge.











The hills again.











Little clearing.











More oak.













Some great color.











Some nice red maple.













Some color.











Messy forest floor.













More red maple.











Aspens.

I don’t know what it is, but when I am able to hike through a mixed forest during prime (or in this case just past prime) fall colors I just get this odd 5 year old like wonderment with the world. Probably because I only really get 1 or 2 hikes in those conditions every year before they are done. I wish it lasted longer. I might just take a week off next year.











Some lit up color.











Neat family tree.













Colorful.



















The maples come in a lot of different colors.











Lovely mixed forest.











Bright hillside.











More mixed forest.











The creek again.











Hitting more of the pines. I think these might be Lodgepole Pines.











Woo!













The color amongst the pines is pretty neat.











Oh! This bridge is new since last year. This crossing was a little awkward, so I appreciate whoever put this in.











Another tiny waterfall.



















A particularly colorful section.











The pops of color around the pines is nice.

















Lots of color up here.











A little closer.











A little pool.











Cliff wall.















More color.

Somewhere around here we started to hear the distinct call of an owl. But I was unable to locate it.











Closer.











There are some interesting looking rock formations up above, but it was hard to see through the foliage.













Woo! A grouse! I am pretty sure this is not what was making the hoot noises, as the only noise I have heard one make was a fierce hiss (had babies it was protecting). However, a quick glimpse at my audubon app says the males hoot in spring to attract mates. So, maybe that is what we heard?  Or maybe we heard an owl, and then saw a grouse. I don’t know. Final thoughts, this is likely what we heard.





























More color.











Some aspens.



















The fall color is so fleeting, it just seems like walking around on an alien planet.











Pile of fallen trees. These were here last time we came up here. I am sure there might be new ones from the crazy windstorm we had, but I know it didn’t cause all of these.











Looking up.

Well, that put us at about 2.5 miles so we called it.

One of the comments I saw said it was 5.5 miles out and back from the lower parking lot, which would have been only another quarter mile. But from what I can see from google maps, it looks longer to me, so… until I complete it myself I guess I will never know. But, I suppose next time we try I can push an extra quarter mile.

















I like the way the leaves look from underneath.

















Some more color along the way.











Back down to the cliff.

Oh and we heard the grouse calling again in the area, but didn’t have another sighting.











Massive tree still hanging in the air.











The little pool.











Some lovely red maples.











And some orange ones.













Back down to the new, 4th bridge.











with the tiny waterfall.











I missed this on the way up. It looks like whoever built the bridge decided to add a bench. It’s a low bench, but hey, thanks!











The creek again.











More maples.













This is probably the worst of the trail, and it isn’t bad.











Orange hillside.













More color.











Gnarly old tree.















The creek again.











Aspens.















Maples.











More aspens.











More. You can just make out some of the golden aspens in this shot. They are my favorite, I guess because they are kind of an anomaly. Aspens will take on the golden color due to different nutrition in the soil.











Oaks.











Colorful hillside.











Purple willows.











Crossing the creek. I am pretty sure this is still considered Emigration Creek? But I am not 100% sure.











Looking down canyon. Looks like that storm is coming in.











Pretty leaves.











Another view down canyon.















Down to the 2nd bridge.















Lots of yellows.





















Enjoying some of the last bits of color.













Small patch of golden aspens.











Back down to the trailhead. Now we just have a little ways along the road.











Some color.











1 of a couple of spots that could allow at least 10 cars to park up here without being in the way.



















More color.











Back down to the designated parking area. Smaller overflow seen on the right, the larger main area is on the left hidden behind plants.

I still really like that trail. I need to do the left fork sometime in the spring and experience it all greened up one day. But it is super pretty in the fall! Always enjoy seeing interesting wildlife as well. And the trail was not too busy. 8 out of 10 squirrels.




As for difficulty, Its a pretty mild climb, with a couple super short climbs. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, and should be leashed.



No comments: