Friday, June 18, 2021

Mill D: New Beaver Dam

Some industrious beavers have decided to make a new home for themselves in Big Cottonwood Creek, just above the Mill D South parking lot. They built right next to the road, and right above the parking lot so it is a good, easy way to see a beaver dam and lodge without putting in a lot of effort. I didn’t see a beaver today, but I would imagine you have a good chance of seeing one here.

I have been going back and forth as to whether to include this in my previous post, or make it its own. I decided that it was interesting enough to make it it own post.

Quick Details:

Length: At most 100 yards, but you can drive right by.
Trail Type: Get out and look, or out and back.
Difficulty: DR2.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Yes
Dogs? No. Big Cottonwood Canyon is watershed.

To Get Here:

Drive approximately 9 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon to Mill D South, which will be on the right side of the road. The just walk up the road to the creek.

The Trail:


As we were driving down from Donut Falls today, I looked over and noticed that it was swampy here (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)). This wasn’t a swampy area before, so I was curious.


There is a good pond here now (PSP). What?


Oh!!! (PSP) A beaver dam! I had Landis pull over and let me out to explore.


The creek is now split here.


Here is what it looked like a few winters ago.


Look how massive the dam is! I am almost 100% certain this was not here around this time last year. It blows my mind how much the beavers built in that time. I had no idea they were that industrious.

Of course, when I related the same to my mom she did say to me: “You know what they say, Busy as a beaver.” Right, right.


Part of the dam, and the lodge.


Neat.


The whole dam.


The lodge.


Part of the pond they made.


The lodge again.


The dam again.


Panoramic.

Unfortunately, I never did see any of the beavers living here. However, I did have a recent beaver sighting along The Jordan River.


The dam from the other side.


Really? Not only did this teenager walk out onto the lodge, the adult allowed them to do so. Now, I don’t know how structurally sound the lodges are, but even if they are tough, I think that is a little disrespectful. And at worst, damaging their home. Come on, stay off of it.


Pretty flower.


I think this is cow parsnip.


Looking back towards Mill D South.


The pond again.


The dam.


The other side of the creek.


Mom and ducklings.


Penstemon.


Scarlet rocket, I think.


More penstemon.


Geraniums.


The new Mill D parking lot.


The new Mill D crossing light.


More penstemon.

I was really excited to stumble upon a new beaver dam and lodge, and be able to explore it, While also know what the area looked like before the beavers moved in so I know how much they affected the area. It really is quite fascinating. 10 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, you can literally drive up and see it if it isn’t too busy, otherwise it is maybe a 100 foot walk from the Mill D South parking lot.DR2.

Big Cottonwood Canyon is watershed, so dogs are not allowed. Be sure to leave Fido at home.

No comments: