Friday, February 23, 2024

The Ogden 25th Street Dragon

 From The Archives. A post I made recently I wanted to refer to this cool old sign and realized I never posted it when we went out to see it. So here, way back from March of 2015, it is.

The Historic 25th Street Dragon is a beautifully restored old neon sign located in downtown Ogden. The original sign was for Star Noodle Palace opened in 1948 the sign quickly became a popular icon on 25th Street. Unfortunately, Star Noodle Palace closed in 2007. The sign was taken down in 2008 for restoration work on the building. It was restored and came back up in 2015, which was why we decided to come check it out. The historic building now includes the Pig & a Jelly Jar among a few other businesses.

Quick Details:

Length: Can be drive by and see, or however much you want to walk around to see it.
Trail Type: NA
Difficulty: Drive by and see, DR1, or walk along a paved sidewalk DR2.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: I am sure there is one inside.
Dogs? I mean, sure but you probably can’t go inside with them.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

Take i15 to exit 341 for 31st St. in Ogden. head east. Turn left on Wall Ave. then right on 25th St. The sign will be on the right.

The Adventure:


It really is a fantastic sign! I am glad it came back.


Before the Star Noodle Palace opened in 1948, the building was a theater called The Rex Theater built in 1912.


Closer view. The sign contains 250 feet of neon and 58 smaller lights.


From the front.


From the other side. Back in 2015 none of the businesses were open yet, which made getting some good shots without people pretty easy. I am sure it is not so easy any more.


I found this image on Google maps from 2008. before they added the Historic 25th Street part it said Star Noodle.

Anyway, most of the facts I found for the sign and more plus more old photos of it can be found in this article (outside link).


Bonus Union Station neon sign.


Bonus Ogden Sign. “It pays to live in Ogden home of Weber State University (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).

The Dragon Sign is probably the most amazing neon sign I have ever seen! It’s just really cool. I am glad that it was restored and brought back. As far as I can tell from the linked article, the new owner didn’t get any incentive for bringing it back (which does not mean it didn’t happen, just not reported). But, either way it is cool, and I just love that we can enjoy it for years to come.

No comments: