Sunday, March 10, 2019

Jensen Nature Park

The Jensen Nature Park is a small little park surrounding a pond in Syracuse. It offers a very short trail around the pond and can be a good spot for birding and fishing. I was a little disappointed in it, as I was expecting a more wild park, but it’s a nice easy addition to the Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve which we did again today.



Quick Details:

Length: about .63 miles
Trail Type: Loop
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, flat, easy.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Yes. I didn’t check to see if they were open in winter though.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info: If you plan to feed the birds, remember bread is not good for them, and pollutes the water. Consider sliced grapes, frozen (then defrosted) corn, or peas. Cracked corn or even birdseed.

To Get Here:

From I15 take the Layton Parkway Exit (exit 330) in Layton. Head west. Immediately turn right on Main St, and then the first left onto Gentile St. Take Gentile St 3.9 miles to Bluff road and turn right. Take Bluff Rd .8 miles then turn left into Jensen Nature Park.

The Trail:



This seagull thinks he is king of the fish cleaning station.



Various ducks and American coots (the black ones with white beaks).



Some mallards.



There is a nice bridge over the pond.



The pond.



I’m pretty sure this is a bat house. Just a little bigger than the ones I normally see.







There is a fun series of whimsical bird houses along the south end.



The pond again.



These are some of the biggest ducks I can ever recall seeing.





Maybe he caught it, but I am willing to bet he stole it from a fisherman.



The bridge again.



Again.



Lots of coots on the west end.



From previous experience with them, I expected they would retreat to the water as we got closer. However, they were still less skittish than other coots I have come across.



Fun little birds.



I like the bright blue band.



Closeup of a coot. These guys are pretty fun to watch, they dive completely underwater going after their food.

Well, that was kind of .. meh. I enjoy a little walk around a nice pond, and enjoy watching birds, but, this one just didn’t do it for me. I guess if I lived nearby I would probably enjoy it more. Going with 6 out of 10 squirrels today.



As for difficulty, it’s paved and generally flat, so super easy. DR2.

Dogs are allowed, on leash. Please clean up after your furry friends.




No comments: