Saturday, March 9, 2019

Legacy Parkway: Birnam Woods TH to Mile Marker 9.5

The Legacy Parkway Trail is a 14 mile paved pathway from Farmington down through North Salt Lake. We have slowly been making our way up it this winter on days that are not ideal hiking days.
Today however was such a beautiful day, I wanted to do something different, but it was just me today. When I do decide to go out alone, I tend to stick to these easy, more populated trails to help avoid an incident. So, I decided to continue my goal of completing the Legacy Parkway Trail.

This segment is the longest segment between trailheads at approximately 4 miles. I wasn’t up for 8 miles today, so my goal was about 2 miles. I ended up going about 2.5

Previous Sections:

South end where it connects to the Jordan River Parkway to Center Street.
Center St. To 2425 S Segment.
2425 S to 5th south
5th S to Mill Creek,
a loop starting at Mill Creek
Pages Lane to Birnam Woods loop.



Quick Details:

Length: I did 5 miles out and back, you can continue to the next TH for 8 miles out and back, or make a loop with the Denver & Rio Grand (D&RG) Rail Trail. looks like that would be about 8 miles as well.
Trail Type: Out and Back. Can be Point to Point, or loop.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, flat, easy.
Elevation Gain: NA or not enough to register.
Restroom: No.
Dogs? Yes. Please clean up after your furry friends.

To Get Here:

From i15 or Legacy Parkway take the Parrish Lane Exit in Centerville (from I 15 you’ll go west, from Legacy you’ll go east) to 1250 W. Head south to Porter Ln. Go right (west) to 830 w. Follow that north to the end, park.

The Trail:



Trailhead kiosk has info about the migratory birds.

From our last time out here I know the 7 mile marker is just south of the TH, so my goal was to reach the 9 Mile Marker.



Almost immediately you will reach a 4 way split. Forward is just a connector trail from Parrish Ln. Left and right is the Denver and Rio Grand Rails to Trails Trail. You want to go left here as it will temporarily share with the Legacy Parkway Trail.





Loooooong tunnel under Legacy Parkway. It’s long enough that it might disrupt your GPS. I noticed it seems to do it coming from the other direction.



On the other side you get a lovely view of the mountains.



Also a lovely view into the Legacy Parkway Preserve.



I was being serenaded by frogs. They sure seem to think it is spring time! I tried to find one but, frogs are pretty elusive.



This is about as far as we got last time, to Parrish Lane. so, now it’s all new. There is a trailhead somewhere back there, but there is no sidewalk, or crosswalk, so I wouldn’t recommend trying to get here from there, unless you go along that connector trail, back to the 4 way split from before.



Lovely view.



Mountains.



This segment is a lot more natural and wild, and has quite a bit less development nearby. I thought I might enjoy it more but wow its quite lovely though here.

















Looks like I have officially crossed into Centerville.



A couple of quail.

I was hoping that since this was a little more wild that I would see some raptors, but so far, no such luck.



Creek.



Nice trail, beautiful day.



Mountain panoramic.



Like just about any trail in Davis County, you have a lovely view of Antelope Island along the way.



The (I think) willows are starting to turn orange.



Lets see… Ford Canyon, Barnard Creek, and Parrish Creek.



Lovely trail.



Mile Marker 8. Since the Birnam Woods trailhead is just north of MM 7, we have not gone quite a mile yet, but are pretty close.



Mountains again.



Another panoramic.



White crowned sparrow. These are fairly common here, and we even get them at our feeders.



Again, the signage could be a little more clear through here. I mean, it is pointing right to the next trailhead, but fails to mention right is where the Legacy Parkway Trail continues, and forward is where the D&RG Rail Trail continues. Luckily, I knew in advance that is split off here. Although, I was tempted to stay on the D&RG Rail Trail, but, no. I am doing Legacy right now, I can come back.



At first I thought this was an old abandoned road, but there are a few active businesses on it. Seems like a good spot to add another trailhead.



North will continue along the (D&RG) Rails Trail.



East will continue along the Legacy Parkway Trail.



Well, I finally saw a hawk, but it was too far away.



Nice open field with a little stream in it.



Mountains above.



The 8.5 mile marker is right where the trail swings back north.



Now the trail is back to being next to the Legacy Parkway, so unfortunately, the noise of that is back, but, I mean, it’s to be expected on this trail. The previous mile was a lovely treat.





Reflection.



Bridge over another stream.



Probably another canal.



The bridge continues as a boardwalk over the wetland. So far I have not seen anybody since the trail split, but judging by the footprints here, people do use this trail.



First killdeer of the year. These guys have a call that makes you want to look for a hawk.



Lovely shot of them taking off.



Couple more boardwalks. It’s neat to see the only snow is on these boardwalks.



Another mountain panoramic.



You can see a biker going along the D&RG Rail Trail on the other side of this field.



Mile marker 9. Well, I was enjoying my walk today so I opted to push on just a little further.



One of the many benches that are found all along the trail.



Another little boardwalk.



Bridge over Ricks Creek. This creek comes out of Ford Canyon and is a fun little adventure as well.



Ricks Creek.



The mountains are always so pretty after a fresh dusting of snow. That would be Ford Canyon, by the way.



There are a lot of boardwalks through here. This area must be prone to flood.



Wiggly trail.



You can see the Freedom Hills Switchback Trail.



Oh! A red tailed hawk, I wonder if it is the same one I saw last time we were near here.



Unfortunately he didn’t sit still long enough for me to get my telephoto lens out, but I did get a shot of him flying away.



Not long after I spotted a kestrel.



The 9.5 mile marker. As I mentioned earlier, the TH is just north of MM 7, so this is not quite 2.5 miles. Well, I just wanted to round it out so I kept going until my pedometer app said I went 2.5 miles, not much further.



Not much further I hit 2.5 miles. One final shot: Lagoon off in the distance. I can also see Glover Ln which is where the next trailhead is. I probably could have made it, I've done 8 miles before, but, eh, not today.



Looking southeast.



Wiggly trail and you can see the point of the mountain between Davis and SL Counties. You can actually hike across that using  the Bonneville shoreline Trail via Tunnel Springs.



Back to Ricks Creek. I went quite a while without seeing anybody, and suddenly, quite a few other people are out enjoying the first spring like day of the year.



Geese.



Mile marker 9.



More geese.



The bridge/boardwalk combo. This shot shows the boardwalk allowing melt water through, so I guess that explains why they are all here.



This one doesn’t have a label and I am not sure if it is another creek, or a canal.



Just in case you had any ideas of crossing the field to make a loop. It is all private property.



Some blackbirds.



Reflection.



Another kestrel.

If you are not a bird nerd like have become, you likely have often overlooked a kestrel, or dismissed it as just another bird. They are our tiniest, and most adorable little raptor.



Another kill deer.



MM 8.5.



I’m pretty sure this is the same kestrel as before, just on a new branch. But this shows the pretty colors off a little better.



Ben Lomond off in the distance.



Not the best shot, but a red shouldered black bird. these guys have an amazing song.



Holy crap, another kestrel! I don’t often see this many this close together and if I do, I certainly don’t have my telephoto lens in.



Taking off.



Back to the trail split. I think I am going to have to check out that section of the D&RG Rail Trail sometime soon.



Back to the shared trail.





A pair of kestrels. That makes 5 today.



The trail again.



Mile marker 8. Just under a mile to go.



Antelope Island again.



Thick marsh plants of some sort.



Your standard, common robin.



MM 7.5. Just a little under a half  mile to go.



Back to the tunnel.



Don’t go into the light!



Back to the Birnam woods Trailhead.

I suspected I would enjoy this section more than the previous ones, but wow, I really did enjoy it. Of course seeing some of my favorite birds helped. Not to mention this section was a lot more wild and pretty, less development, and well, half of it was away from the freeway. At first the trail was quiet and only ran into a few people, but eventually, I suppose people started to realize it was an amazing spring like day so it did start getting a bit more populated. Still, overall, it was a lovely adventure. Going with 6 out of 10 squirrels.



As for difficulty, it is flat. completely paved, and super easy. DR2.

Dogs are allowed! Please clean up after your fury friends.

No comments: