Sunday, March 24, 2019

Woodland Park

Woodland Park, is well, aptly named. It is a beautiful little park surrounded by thick old woods located in Farmington. It is a wonderful short trail that follows Steed Creek for half of it. There are also several great picnic sites. I actually enjoyed this one a little more than I expected. This was not my original plan today but we got a late winter storm last night/this morning so I was hoping to find a trail that wouldn’t be too muddy. This was not paved, but it wasn’t muddy either so it worked out.



Quick Details:

Length: About a half mile.
Trail Type: Loop
Difficulty: DR3. Short, easy mild elevation.
Elevation Gain: About 60 feet.
Restroom: Yes. Although I don’t know if they are open in winter.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info: This is a great short trail to add to another adventure, or do after work.

To Get Here:

Take NB I15 to exit 322, keep right at the fork. Turn right onto W 200 S. Turn right onto S 200 E look for the park on the right, it is just beyond the police station on 300 S. Parking is available across from the police station, or down the hill (if the gate is open).

The Trail:



Just heading down the stairs I could tell I was going to enjoy this little trail.



One of the picnic areas.





The forest is amazing right now, but I am definitely going to have to come back once everything greens up for the year.



Steed Creek. I happened to hike along Steed Creek yesterday as well, just quite a bit lower down.



There is also a a paved trail down into the park. The dirt trail picks up again across it.



Another picnic spot.



The rain from this morning is really bringing out the moss. That might be why I am enjoying this trail so much.





Some of these trees are absolutely massive! It’s nice to see some old growth.



More moss.



I was a little worried that was it, but noticed the trail marker across the road.



View of the mountains.



Wait, Steed Creek drifted to the south, how did it get north of us?





Forest again.



Looking up.



Steed Creek again.



Oh haha. I looks like the creek split, and now they joined back up.



Little bridge over the south fork.



Open field, with Steed Canyon above. I still need to explore that canyon. We tried once but it was runoff and the creek blocked our path.



The southwest segment is next to the open field, but there is a nice little tree tunnel.



The trail takes you back onto the paved path for a minute.



Why do older parks in Utah have stages like this? Are there often play performed in parks? Or were there years ago? I know in State and National Parks they do ranger programs, but I can't imagine that happens often in random parks. Anyway, kind of weird.



The dirt trail forks off about here, but I wanted to see what was up here a little ways. The south fork goes in front of the stage.



Little cascade.



Back to the dirt loop and getting back into the woods.



Another picnic area.



This one has a double table and a fire pit.



Last picnic area.

I saw a side trail just below that looked like it got back to where we parked so we back tracked a bit.



Nearing the creek.



Hrm. Not the best crossing here and a little too wide to step over. Darn, guess we’ll go back.



At least I was able to get a shot of the park sign this way. Short segment along 200 E to get back to where we parked.



The north section with the Farmington City trail sign. You can also see the staircase we went down at the beginning.



Radio tower “disguised” as a tree. These always give me a giggle.

Wow! That is a really amazing park with a great little trail! It reminded me a bit of Miller Park in Salt Lake, just an old old park following a creek. The recent rain made everything nice and green, and also appeared to scare off the crowds as we didn’t run into a single person. It probably wouldn’t be as enjoyable on a nice sunny day when in full use, but I had a great time. I think I found a new place to take the dogs occasionally. 10 Squirrels!

However, it was awfully short, so we decide to add another adventure to our day.



As for difficulty, The trail is fairly thin, but it has such a mild climb that its nothing. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, leashed. Please clean up after your furry friends.

No comments: