Sunday, April 7, 2024

Hoodah: The Granary District Troll

 Hoodah is a wooden sculpture that was erected in the Granary District in 2023 by artist Garth Franklin who goes by @franklinwoodworking on Instagram. It is a rather large sculpture that is 14 feet tall and is sitting on some abandoned railroad tracks which made me want to call him the Boxcar Troll. Since I love me a good piece of whimsical art, see: Out Of The Blue I decided to add it onto my list of oddities to explore downtown today.

Quick Details:

Length: NA.
Trail Type: Get out and see.
Difficulty: DR1. 
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: No
Dogs? City sidewalk rules would apply, so leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

This neat statue is located at about 700 South 400 West. There was a building just to the east that did not have any “No Parking” signs so we parked there real fast.

The Trail:


The front with the fun little streamers.


A little closer.


The little fun streamer things. I am not sure what they are supposed to represent.


A little closer.

It kind of reminds me of the Freemont Troll in Seattle.


From the side ish. He sure is a handsome fella.


The face.


Hand and feet detail.


The back.


His face again. The artist really did a great job with all the little details.


Granary Campus.


The front again.


Closer.


From the side again.


Fun tripod mural.


On our way to our next stop we found ourselves driving alongside Trax for a moment, which is a little weird (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)).


Great Sears Lake (PSP). This is the pit of the former 13th south Sears location. The pit filled with water and inadvertently created a little wildlife oasis. I might have to come back and check this out sometime as well, but for now just a quick drive by shot. There are plans to turn this location into a hospital, if I understand things correctly, but for now it sits empty.

Well, Hoodah was pretty darn neat! As Salt Lake Cities newest folk art, I think it is great, and I am glad we decided to go check it out. It is in a little bit of a sketchy part of town, but we didn’t have any issues. I don’t think I would have gone out of my way to see it, but on my short list of weird things I wanted to see today it was a nice add on. 9 out of 10 squirrels today.

As for difficulty, it is really just a get out and look. DR1.

As for dogs, I imagine city sidewalk laws would apply, so, leashed.

No comments: