Sunday, April 7, 2024

Worlds First KFC

 The Worlds First KFC is located in Salt Lake City Utah. It is pretty non descript nowadays However, it was my last desired oddity in the Salt Lake area that I deemed worth checking out on my little oddity tour inspired mostly by Atlas Abscura and was on the way back from Downtown. Plus, it was a alright dinner option to end the day. 

Quick Details:

Length: NA
Trail Type: Get out and see
Difficulty: DR1
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: Yes, but they require a code.
Dogs? Outside sidewalk laws would apply, I don’t think they are allowed inside.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

It is located just off of 39th and state.


On our way out we found another little bit of Utah history, one of the Sconecutter signs They did not appear to have made it through the pandemic. I wonder if Salt Lake plans to preserve it. The only other one that I was aware of has been removed. But, this was a Utah company, just like Snelgrove so I hope there is some preservation of their legacy.

Then, there appears to be a Jack in the Box sign. The original stone cutter is now a Subway, so I am not sure what it up with the Jack in the Box sign.


The old Ritz Classic Sign (PSP) Another recovered historical sign. I covered the historical significance of this sign on our walk along Parleys Trail.

The Trail:


We made it. The original building which was opened in 1952 was destroyed and remodeled some 20 -25 years ago. Sometime while I was alive anyway.


Bonze statue outside, without any information. It looks like Colonel Sanders on the left, and I am going to guess it is his friend Pete Harman who opened this first franchisee location.


This old signs remains. I am not sure how original it is though. 

So I understand Harman was the first KFC Franchisee, but it was still the Harman Cafe? I guess he sold the chicken under the KFC name? That part is a bit fuzzy to me.


The old chicken bucket sign. Considering it says Worlds First KFC on it, I question how original it might have been.




Some memorabilia.



One of Colonel Harland Sanders Original Suits.

He was short.


Original Harmen Cafe sign.

Ah, okay this makes a little more sense. It was the Harman Café Featuring Col. Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken.


The original Celebrity Chef.





More memorabilia.



Outside signs after dark.

Meh, it was neat, but not very exciting. I think the old store that was torn down was more exciting, but I don’t have any pictures of it.

This concludes my list from Atlas Obscura’s SLC list. I have done all I wanted to to see, the only remaining items are the Pioneer Museum and the USPS Codec Building. Neither of which I find particularly interesting, but I may or may not one day visit the museum. Time will tell.

As for the Original KFC, the building sure is not original anymore, but there is a lot of memorabilia and historical stuff. Most of which you actually need to go inside to see. It was neat to see and learn about, but it was kind of meh. 5 out of 10 squirrels.


As for difficulty, it was really just a get out and see, have lunch or dinner while you are at it. DR1.

Dogs might be allowed outside, with city sidewalk rules, but I am pretty sure they are not allowed inside.


No comments: