Sunday, April 7, 2024

Ralphael Plescia's "Christian School" - Outside Only

 Ralphael Plescia's "Christian School" was a bizarre museum of sorts where the artist Plescia created interesting and bizarre sculptures relating to obscure passages in the bible. From what I can tell he used to offer private tours, but now it appears to be permanently closed. I was a little worried that since it had been closed for so long that nothing would be left, however I am pleased to say we did get to see the outside of it before it is torn down to make way for more condos. I'm not saying that plan is currently in the works, just a commentary on what seems to happen to old building around here.

Quick Details:

Length: NA
Trail Type: Get out and see.
Difficulty: DR1.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: No
Dogs? City sidewalk rules would apply, so leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

It is located at 1324 S State Street. So take 13th to State Street and head south, it will be quickly on the right.

The Trail:


Well, holy crap. I was pleased to see it still exists, but wow, even just the outside is .. well, just wow.


The lower level.


Apparently the “school” used to be a barber shop and an auto parts shop. This sign may or may not have been original to the barber shop.


13th South River Rock? I’m not sure what that is referencing.


Several cement crosses.


This statue.


Might haunt my dreams for weeks.


“The Heavenly Mother and her Son”


Yikes.


The crosses again.


Raphaels Church School dedicated to teach about the heavenly mother and god creator and Jesus.


The entrance has been graffitied.


The front again.


Panoramic.

This is really just, bizarre. I would love to have a chance to see the inside.


The front again.


Weird spiral.


Nearby mural.

As I understand it the “school” occupied two buildings, the barber shop and an auto repair shop. Which is the other side. Aside from the crosses out front it isn’t as interesting as the first building.

Well, in trying to find a little more information I learned that Ralphael Plescia passed away on August 14th 2022 at age 84. So even if I had tried, I couldn't get a tour. After his death the fate of this museum is unknown. However, even though Plescia himself thought the museum would not last long after his death, it does sound like some people want to preserve it and make it a public place for the community, much like they did for Gilgal Sculpture Garden. I really hope that happens so we can get a chance to see inside. Oddly enough Plescia spent a lot of time at Gilgal Garden and actually watched Thomas Child create his sculptures.

Aside from this museum, which was his masterpiece working on from 1970's to the time of his death, he is also known for restoring the cement lion statues outside the east and west entrances of the State Capitol in 1976. Unfortunately, they became too weather damaged again by 1998, and have since been replaced with marble lions during the 2004-2008 renovations. I wonder if the original statues still exist somewhere.

Well, that was bizarre, even just seeing what little of the front was really weird. I am happy we got a chance to see it as is, but man, I really would like to go inside and see more. I have decided that artists that are under the influence of religion go 1 of 2 ways. either angels and heaven, or all hell and brimstone. I think this falls under the latter options, where as Gilgal Sculpture Garden would fall under the former. Both weird, but both are kind of interesting to see. 8 Squirrels.

As for difficulty, what we did I would put as a get out and see, DR1.

Dogs are allowed, leashed per general SLC sidewalks rules.

No comments: