Sunday, June 16, 2024

Big Cottonwood Brew Fest and the trail from Moonbeam Lodge to Solitude Village

 The Big Cottonwood Brew Fest at Solitude was a fun little outdoor beer tasting festival with live music and other activities. I thought since it was scheduled on Fathers Day that it wouldn’t be super busy, but I was very wrong. It ended up being such a busy event that they stopped letting people in for a while!

Anyway, this will be more of the drive up the canyon, and the festival, not too much of a hike, but I thought I would share anyway.

Quick Details:

Length: Supposedly they were running a shuttle between Moonbeam base and Solitude Village, but, we’re kind of impatient and it’s only about a half mile one way.
Trail Type: Out and back, plus wandering.
Difficulty: DR2. It is now paved and pretty easy.
Elevation Gain: About 100 feet.
Restroom: Yes, several.
Dogs? No. Big Cottonwood Canyon is watershed.
Other Info: While the event itself was free, there was a fee for drink tickets and mugs. ($15 for a mug and 3 tickets, $2.00 per extra ticket).

To Get Here:

Drive 12.2 miles up Big Cottonwood Rd to the lower entrance to Solitude. Take the shuttle, or hike a half mile up to the upper area, Solitude Village.

Or, take a risk and see if you can find parking by going 12.6 to the upper entrance.


Oh boy, maybe heading up the canyon on Fathers Day was a mistake (Passenger Seat Photography (PSP)). There is construction at the canyon entrance that has squished the left, forward, and right turn lanes leaving the canyon into one. Considering I would wager at least half of the traffic tends to turn right towards the freeway this has severely impacted getting out of the canyon. I think the very least they could do is impose a temporary no left turns rule until the construction is complete, but whatever. UDOT gonna UDOT.


The narrow blasted out part of rock by Storm Mountain (PSP).



Continuing up (PSP).


A beaver lodge (PSP).


I really love this canyon (PSP).


Passing Mill D South (PSP).



The Silver Fork Lodge and Restaurant (PSP). The future of this place is currently up in the air.


Before long we made it to the lower Solitude entrance, the Moonbeam Lodge. To get to the upper entrance, and Solitude Village continue east, or uphill.


Oh yay! They have paved the pathway, making it even easier than it already was. You also have the option to take the chairlift across, but yeah, that’s a big no from me.

The Trail:


I guess it is called Path To Solitude Village.



Through the trees.


Itty bitty pond.



Continuing up.


Wallflower. I successfully grew some of these in my garden last year, but they did not come back this year.


Almost to the end.


Oh boy, there are a lot of people up here!

Unfortunately, they were not letting any new people in, and advised us that they had run out of beer. A beer festival RAN OUT of beer!!! Seriously?

Well, we weighed our options, cut our losses, and head home? Maybe go for a hike? We decided to head into the village for a minute before we really decided.


Big Cottonwood Creek.


Another little pond.


Heading into the village.


We found a bar called The Thirsty Squirrel and well, since we had planned on having a few beers up here we decided well, we can still do that!

Better view of the logo on the door.

Considering the Brew Fest was no longer letting new customers in, the bar was not as crowded as I thought it might be. It was kind of nice actually.

After a couple beers we decided to explore the village a little more. They uhm… moved some stores around. The general store is now where the giftshop was.


The neat clock tower again.

We decided to check on the festival again, and apparently they found some more beer, or maybe not all vendors had run out and they were letting people in again. Yay. I was happy to get a mug, as I was kind of looking forward to that.

They are kind of plain, but they are cite.


Inside. The crowds are starting to thin out.


Some snow hanging on.

While purchasing some beer tickets some dude just came up to me and handed me a handful of tickets. I wasn’t planning on drinking a whole lot more, like I said I really just wanted the mugs we only bought enough for 1 each, but hey, free tickets!!


Up canyon.

I noticed a few games like cornhole etc. But did not notice any food vendors. I guess maybe they already wrapped up and went home. It was the last half hour or so when we got in.


Brew Fest sign on the Last Chance Southwest Grill, which is not normally open during summer, but they did have it open for restroom use.


The live band. I was actually enjoying them. I guess they are called The Alpines.


Crowds and mountains.


Thinning out and tearing down.


The band again.


About 20 minutes past closing the crowds are really starting to thin.


The moon.


Heading back down to moonbeam base. Looks like I got some water on my lens from washing my hands. Meep.


The trail down.



Again. It sure is pretty up here.


More forest.


Almost down to Moonbeam Base.


The creek again.


The parking lot is thinning out.




Heading down the canyon (PSP).



More (PSP).


And we hit the backup (PSP). At the bottom of the S Curve so, 4.4 miles up we will be stuck in this. oi. On the way up is was only up to just below Storm Mountain.


Well, I guess we will become quite familiar with that red car in front of us (PSP).


Plus side is I get to see the canyon at a much slower pace (PSP).


Storm Mountain (PSP).


Again (PSP).

I don’t think that is legal lane splitting, but whatever, as long as he keeps himself safe (PSP).


Trees and rocks (PSP).



Nearing the mouth of the canyon (PSP).


Hitting the construction area (PSP).


The long line of cars behind us (PSP).


Woo construction (PSP).


As I mentioned all 3 lanes exiting the canyon have been condensed into one (PSP). I donno, after sitting in that for ~40 minutes, I cannot fathom trying to turn left and holding up the line anymore. But, I try to be considerate. Again, I think they should temporarily ban left turns here until they are done with this project.


Back onto the free flowing Wasatch BLVD with a view of the valley (PSP).

That ended up being kind of a fun day! I was a little sad we couldn’t get in when we arrived, but I was happy we found something to entertain us until we could get in. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and plan better in the future, but hey, I would give them another chance.

No comments: