Saturday, March 19, 2022

Crestwood Park

 Crestwood Park is a nice park with a pretty natural area in the gully of Little Cottonwood Creek. It features, well the creek, some pretty mountain views, and some nice wooded areas.

I was totally drawing a blank on what to do today, I just wanted something a little closer, and not in an avalanchey area. So, even though we’ve done it before I decided we would do it again.

Quick Details:

Length: We did a 1.57 mile figure 8 today, but there are other options. The main loop is a mile.
Trail Type: Loop, figure 8.
Difficulty: Its pretty flat, and hard packed. DR3.
Elevation Gain: About 20 feet.
Restroom: Yes, but I don’t know if they are open in winter.
Dogs? Yes, but must remain leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

Take i215 to the Union Park exit. Head south on Union Park Ave. Turn Left onto Creek Rd. Turn Left onto Keswick Rd. Take that to the T on Siesta Dr. It is on the other side of it.

The Trail:


Park Sign.


Someone created and placed this sign here. I love it almost as much as I love the “There is no poop fairy” signs I have seen at some places.


Little Cottonwood Creek looking quite dismal.


Last time we went clockwise, so today we went counter clockwise. This was a shortcut, the main trail is just a little further back.


The creek again.


Twin Peaks.


Meadow.


The edge of a storm.


Nice little wooded section.


Far end of the meadow.


We were both amused by this barn that appears to be roofed in old FedEx track sides?


East end of the trail.


Edge of the storm again.


Moody clouds.


The edge again.


Tumbleweed on the move.


Holy tumbleweed pile, Batman.


Storm edge again.


Another little forested area.


The creek again. We missed the other end of the extended loop for the west end, so we did a figure 8 today.


I still haven’t figured out if there is a name to these structures I see on a lot of trails. I just call them lean-to’s.


Heading back east.


Twin Peaks again.


Back on the main loop with another view of the creek.


Neat old bridge.


The trail, the creek, and Twin Peaks.


Main loop sign. I wonder who made it.


Heading back towards the parking lot.


Crossing over Little Cottonwood Creek.

Well, this is not my favorite trail in the world, but it is a good safe option when avalanche conditions aren’t great. I also think it would be a good option to get the dogs out. I do need to come back during the warmer months sometime and see if it is better in full bloom, but I generally start going higher in elevation during those months. I think it will retain the 7 out of 10 squirrels.


As for difficulty, it was pretty flat, and hard packed dirt. DR3.

Dogs are allowed, but should be leashed at all times.

No comments: