Saturday, March 12, 2022

The Jordan River Peace Labyrinth

 Tucked into a small meadow in the middle of an oxbow on the Jordan River is a fascinating little Labyrinth. It is called the Jordan River Peace Labyrinth. The section of trail I did along the Jordan River Parkway today was not my favorite so I added this on. This is technically part of the next section I will be doing, but there is another interesting thing I want to check out on that section, so two birds. I’ve been here once before, but it is neat so I didn’t mind revisiting it.

Quick Details:

Length: About 4/10 of a mile out and back from 17th South Park. Shorter if you park on Riverside Dr. And walking the labyrinth added about .15 mile.
Trail Type: Out and back, loop option.
Difficulty: DR2. Paved, and flat.
Elevation Gain: NA
Restroom: There is one at 17th South River Park.
Dogs? Yes, leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

Take 201 to exit 150, Redwood road. Head north. go about 6/10th of a mile and turn right on 17th south. Go About 7/10ths of a mile and you will see 17th South River Park on the left.

You can also turn left on Riverside Drive and park pretty much right next to it if you want to remove the walk, if you can find a spot.

The Trail:


Neat little mural for the park.


Following along the Jordan River Parkway. Nice and flat.


Bend in the river.


From the main trail, it doesn’t look like much.


A little path has been worn out to it.


Another mural.


Before long we made it! Of course I decided I would follow it’s path.


I was not able to find a ton of information about it but according to this site (external link) it was designed by Paul Heath and Linda Nowlin and built by Paul Heath and John Riddle in June of 2003. 


1 of 4 benches.


The labyrinth path is crazy. You weave in and out towards the center.


And suddenly find yourself all the way on the other side.


Bench 2 of 4.


The labyrinth again.


From the other side.


Nearing the front of it again.


Bench 3 of 4.


4 of 4.


Landis did not indulge the labyrinth, but waited patiently for me to complete it.


It is made of cobblestones, with the design painted on.


Panoramic.


There was one spot where the paint was faded, or dirty that made me doubt myself, but I made it to the center!


Looks kind of like a rose.


There are a couple of phrases inscribed in there, but I can’t make them out.


The labyrinth again.


As aerial as I can get by climbing on a bench.


Another panoramic.


Here is what it looks like on Google maps.


Here is what my pedometer app picked up of me walking around it. LOL.

Well that was super fun. But it was time to start heading back.


Looking back at it from the main trail.


The river again.

Well that was super fun. After a kind of meh section along the Jordan River Parkway, I am glad I decided to tack this on today and end on a good note. Plus it was super fun to walk the labyrinth. Really neat art installation. Not too busy, along the main trail, and we had the labyrinth to ourselves the entire time. 9 out of 10 squirrels.

As for difficulty, it is mostly paved, flat, and easy. DR2.

Dogs are allowed, but must remain leashed.

No comments: