Sunday, March 13, 2022

Mehraban Wetland Park

 The Mehraban Wetland Park is a beautiful wetland oasis in the middle of suburbia. It features 2 large, duck filled ponds. Some wetlands, and some forest. At just a mile it is a great quick adventure. It was threatening rain all day so I wanted something short, and something that wasn’t terribly far away. So, since we have done this before, I figured it fit the bill.

Quick Details:

Length: 1 mile out and back.
Trail Type: Double balloon.
Difficulty: Mostly paved so DR2, the loops around the ponds are hard packed, wide, and like paved so DR3 for that.
Elevation Gain: About 32 feet. Not really much to even notice.
Restroom: No. Closest one I can think of is the Maverick on 7th East.
Dogs? Yes, leash required.
Other Info: If you want to feed the ducks, remember bread is bad for them. Consider corn, oats, rice, or birdseed.

To Get Here:

From i15, take the 114th S exit in Draper. Head east. Turn right on 7th east. Left on Meadow Wood Dr. Right on 820 E. That will curve to the left and become 11725 S. Then it will curve to the right and become 880 E. Just before it curves to the left again you will see the signed turn off on the right.

The Trail:


Trailhead sign.


Forest.


I still have no idea what to call these weird structures I see on various trails around here, but this is the widest one I have seen so far.


More forest.


One of the little streams.



More forest.


Looks like they have been doing some work in here, cutting out old tree’s and planting new ones.


I don’t remember being able to see the first pond so clearly through here. But, as I mentioned they are clearing out some old trees.

I didn’t take a picture, but right after here there is a trail split. You wanna head left towards the ponds. Forward connects to the neighborhood beyond.



Ducks!


Swampy area.


Neat old windmill.


The smaller of the ponds. From what I can tell it is not named.



The ducks are obviously used to being fed. Sorry guys! I forgot to bring something for you.


The pond again.


Oh no, here they all come!


Information signs. I am super happy to see more of the middle sign popping up around our local waterways.


Closer. In general, bread doesn’t provide the right nutrients, and pollutes the water. Instead consider cut seedless grapes, cooked rice, birdseed, peas, corn, oats, or chopped lettuce.


Bridge. This is where the pavement ends.


The wetland again.


This sign is way too faded to read.


The dock on the second larger pond, which is called Sunset Pond. I have also seen both ponds collectively called Sunset Ponds. So maybe we should go with Big and Little Sunset.


Here come the ducks! Holy crap, yeah these guys are used to being fed.



I can tell you which ones are mallards. Otherwise I pretty much suck at identifying them. But there are a couple other pretty ones here.


We decided to go around counter clockwise today.


Here they come again.


Coming in for a landing. It looks like he’s waterskiing.


I love these white ones.



These guys really want some food. Holy crap.


Some geese.


The pond again.


Another trailhead sign.


More restoration work.


The ducks joined the geese as they continued following us around the pond.


Sunset Pond under Mount Jordan.


Panoramic.


Geese and ducks.


With Mount Jordan.


Closer view of Mount Jordan.


South end of the pond.


The ducks are never far behind.


Incoming storm.


Now we’ll go around the smaller, or well, Little Sunset Pond as I am dubbing it today.


Incoming ducks.


Duck on a stump.


The pond with Mount Jordan.


Ducks.


From the south end.


There is another dock back here as well.


More ducks.


Another little creek/swamp land.



Incoming geese.


Then, I heard the unmistakable rattle of a kingfisher. Can you see him?


This is a bird that is worth pulling out the telephoto lens out. I just love the mohawk!


I got a couple nice pictures. I don’t think these are particularly rare, but I am very rarely treated to their presence.



Ahhh!!! Not only did I catch a pretty decent in flight shot, but if you look closely you can see he caught a fish!


So cool!


I was pretty sure it was a male, but now that I can see his belly, and the lack of the brown belt I am certain it is male.


These guys don’t sit still for very long. Apparently that is also the case when they are eating. However, this has been my longest encounter with one.


Geese.


Another flight shot.

I managed to peel myself away. That storm looks like it is coming in pretty fast so, I decided we should probably get going.


We noticed that there was all sorts of fishing tackle hang from the trees here. Lots of fishers not paying attention to their surroundings.


The pond again.


Ducks!


Running back to the safety of water.


Creek/swampy area.


Forest.


Final look at the smaller pond.


Trees and moody skies.


Weird lean too structure again.


Rain starting a little ways off.


Just as we got to the car it came in. Rain and hail. Fantastic timing today! We didn’t have to interrupt our adventure and scurry back to the car.

I am super happy that we decided to come out today. It was nice and quiet, we passed only 2 other people. We got an adventure in between the storms. And I got a fantastic adventure with a kingfisher! 10 out of 10 squirrels today.

As for difficulty, it is mostly paved, and fairly flat. The parts that are not paved are hard packed and flat as well. DR2 for the paved, DR3 for the non paved.

Dogs are allowed, but must remain leashed at all times. Please remember to clean up after your furry friends.

No comments: