Monday, October 3, 2022

Seattle: Chihuly Garden and Glass

 The Chihuly Garden and Glass is a surprisingly neat museum of glass sculptures. I was not particularly interested in it, but went cause my friends wanted to. I am glad we ended up going cause those sculptures were really neat! If you are wanting to see some of the top attractions in Seattle, I recommend getting the City Pass (external link).

Location: 305 Harrison St
Time Needed: 1 - 2 hours.
Cost: $32.00 or save and bundle with the City Pass.


The sign.


We’re pretty much directly under the Space Needle here. Mmm, yeah that a nope.


These neat flowers are actually not associated with the museum, but they were pretty neat.

Eventually we entered the museum.


Whoa! That is pretty neat.


This is kind of what I was expecting, so why I was not particularly thrilled to do this today. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate glass blown bowls, but, I did not want to spend an hour looking at them.


Some random textiles.


Then we came around the corner and saw this beast! Whoa! It would seem there are some amazing sculptures here.


Little closer.


Cool octopus statue.


I forget what this room is called. Something about the colorful ceiling.


Little closer.


Fun color shining through on the wall.


Then we wandered the Milli Fiori. Italian for a thousand flowers.






It’s so bizarre and fascinating.


The sign that talks about it.




Super pretty. Also, very cleverly lit.


I love the reflections.


Kind of look like pitcher plants.


Panoramic of boats of glass.






Hanging sculptures.


Detail.


Fun bowls.





They look great lit up the way they are.


Glass house with some sculptures.


With the Space Needle.


Then we enter the garden.



Wow! The combination of natural and glass is really cool.


The Space Needle again.


The elevator and the counter weight passing. I thought that was pretty neat.


Blue spires.


Fun octopus looking sculpture.


I overheard a tour guide saying this sculpture was here in Salt Lake during the 2002 Olympics. I was able to scantily confirm that via wikipedia.


The Space Needle again. The closer we get to it the more my lizard brain screams NOOOOOPE!!!!


Pretty red sculpture.


More sculptures that look like pitcher plants. Oddly enough, we did see pitcher plants on this trip.


Purples and greens.


Giant green sculpture.


Red spikes.


Purple “pop rocks” looking sculpture.


Red rods.


The black ones again.


Purples.


Space Needle again.



Some pretty fuchsia.


Space Needle and “Rock Candy” as I have dubbed it.


Space Needle and another sculpture.


From the other side.


Another fun one.


The blues.


The artist. Dale Chihuly.

Of course we exited through the gift shop. This was the only gift shop that I didn't find much of anything that I really wanted. But eventually we found a magnet. I was really hoping to find maybe a miniature of one of the displays, that would have made me excited. 

Anyway, this little museum was a lot more fascinating than I thought it would be. The displays were impressive, well thought out and illuminated perfectly. Plus the view of the Space Needle were pretty awesome. Definitely worth a visit.

No comments: