Monday, October 3, 2022

Seattle: Museum of Pop Culture

 The Museum of Pop Culture or MoPOP is exactly what is sounds like. Just a bunch of exhibits featuring the pop culture of our society. It was kind of fun and I am glad we came out and experienced it. If you are wanting to see some of the top attractions in Seattle, I recommend getting the City Pass (external link).

Location: 325 5th Ave N
Time needed: Probably about and hour and a half.
Cost: $28 - $31 depending on day. You can save some by using the City Pass.


The Museum of Pop Culture.

We learned the hard way the the general entrance is to the left on 5th Avenue.


We found a random labyrinth. Here in Salt Lake we have a little bit of a smaller one just off the Jordan River Parkway called the Jordan River Peace Labyrinth.


There is a pretty nice view of the Space Needle from here.


The front of the Museum of Pop Culture.


Random dragon.


Random old car. My guess was Robocop, but Landis googled and we learned it was from Blade Runner.


First stop was the Nirvana exhibit.



Kurt Cobain’s Univox Hi-Flier Phase 3 guitar. Used to record his first album.



Some of their smashed guitars.


One of their stage props.



Dave Grohl’s Tama Rockstar-Pro drum kit.


Fun sculpture with a bunch of instruments.


When I was a teen, I didn’t really care about what caused the Parental Advisory label on records, other than I thought it was stupid. Looks like it was Jeatte Beckman and her band 2 Live Crew. The album As Nasty as They Wanna Be was the first album to be deemed legally explicit. And the first album to carry the Parental Advisory label was their Banned in the USA.

Thinking about America’s history, of course it was a black band that created that controversy. I wish I could say I was surprised.


The instrument sculpture again.


Fun freight elevator painted with Mario imagery.


The Fantasy exhibit was behind this neat door.


Professor McGonagalls hat. From the Harry Potter movies.


Neat dragon.


We found a neat throne.


Various Harry Potter costumes.


Neat dragonfly sculpture.


Harry Potter’s glasses.


Some stuff from Game of Thrones.


Then we worked our way down to the Horror exhibit, which is so much more my interest.


Interesting creature made of the masks from Silence of the Lambs.


Various screams.


Body bags.


The science behind why we like horror films.


We found a coffin.


Props from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I was going to say I didn't note the movie or the series, but I zoomed in on the card and it was used by Sarah Michelle Geller, so the series.


Some cool stained glass windows.


Various horror props.


Jason.


Nightmare on Elm Street props.


Fun prop.


More fun props. That looks like (what we call) Sack Face from Trick R Treat.


Entering the Sci Fi exhibit.


Terminator.


Neat bridge mock up. As huge Star Trek nerd, I loved this.


With me.


Infinity mirror.


The bridge again.


Back to the Future hover boards.


One of the eggs from Alien.



More various props.


Ghost Busters!


Giant planet.


Another infinity mirror but this one curves. I know how regular infinity mirrors are made but I was a little baffled by the one for a minute. But now I think I understand how it was done.


Back to the giant planet. You can make it any of our local planets. here is Saturn.


Or a few fictional planets. I forget what this one is.


A few fictional guns.


Neat lit up umbrella things out in the main hall.


The labyrinth again.


The space needle.


The exit of the Museum of Pop Culture.


The train goes right through it.


Random Homer art.


Giant purple wall.

The Space Needle again.


The labyrinth again.

I probably would not have chosen to do this museum by myself, but our friends wanted to, and well, it was part of the City Pass we got so we did it. It was pretty neat, and I am glad we ultimately ended up doing it, there were some neat exhibits and I liked learning about some of the history that happened during my life during a period that I wasn't really paying attention to world events. 

No comments: