Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Dimple Dell: Flanders Point Loop

 Flanders Point Loop is a short trail within Dimple Dell. It features an interpretive trail with informative signs. Wildflowers, and incredible views. We were just here a couple of months ago, where we saw a sign about the largest concentration of sego lilies here. So, now that it is sego lily season I decided to come check it out again. I had some extra time today so why not. This is a great short trail to do after work.


Quick Details:

Length: .67 mile loop from the neighborhood connector on Flanders Rd. It will be about double that to do it from the Wrangler Trailhead.
Trail Type: Loop from neighborhood, balloon from Wrangler TH.
Difficulty: DR3. Not much elevation gain.
Elevation Gain: About 30 feet.
Restroom: No. There will be one at the Wrangler TH soon, otherwise there are some businesses off of 13th east and Sego Lily Dr. Smiths being the best option.
Dogs? Yes, but should remain leashed.
Other Info:

To Get Here:

From the north, take i15 to 90th South. head east to 13th east, turn right. Go about a mile and turn left on Sego Lily Dr. Go about 6/10 of a mile, turn right on Flanders Rd. Go about 500 feet to the end and park on the road.

From the south, take i15 to 106th South. head east to 13th east, turn left. Go about a half mile and turn right on Sego Lily Dr. Go about 6/10 of a mile, turn right on Flanders Rd. Go about 500 feet to the end and park on the road.


I noticed there was no parking on the west side of Flanders Rd in the last section. The east side did not have no parking signs, but I wasn’t risking it so I parked on Edgecliff Dr. It really did not add too much extra.

The Trail:


There is an opening in the fence on both sides.


You will start on the North Rim Trail for just a but. You can go either way, and I have found that if I do not have a vested interest I generally default to going right, However, the sego lilies were to the east so left it was.


Great view of Mount Jordan.


The North Rim Trail.


At a little over a 10th of a mile you will reach the signed turned off for Flanders Loop.


The east side welcome sign.


View of the Jordan Narrows. A particularly narrow point that where the Jordan River enters the valley.


Mount Jordan again.


This is what brought me out here today. After seeing a large quantity of sego lilies on our last hike I thought I would come back here and check out the blooms here. Unfortunately I did not see it today… despite some serious effort!


Pretty pink flowers.


Where I found a spider munching on a wasp. o.O

It doesn’t quite look like the goldenrod crab spider I have seen, but pretty similar. I am guessing a close relative? Either way, it looks like an ambush spider.


Continuing around the loop.


Mount Jordan again.


I think I can finally see the log plume.


Closer.


Panoramic.


Fun fluffy clouds.


Looking across the point with all the sagebrush.


Some daisies.


Well, all was not lost, I did see a sego lily or two.


This is a particularly tall one.


At Flanders Point there is a bench to rest and take in the view.


And boy, what a view!


Panoramic.


Work on the new upcoming trailhead at Badger Cove.


Down canyon.


The bitter brush is done blooming here.


The gully is so green!


Sand dunes.


Fragrant sumac.


More bitter brush.


The trail again.


Looking back towards Little Cottonwood Canyon.



A little more than a half mile we reconnect to the North Rim Trail.


There is a trailhead kiosk with a map here.


Back on the North rim Trail.


Another panoramic.

So That does it for the main Flanders Point Loop. But I was really set on seeing the sego lilies.. so I accidentally discovered there is a longer Lower Loop around Flanders Point. I went back and fourth as to whether or not to make it its own post, but it seems to make sense to just add on to this one since its the same area and I didn't do the whole thing.

Lower Flanders Point - Partial

So I continued east back on the main loop.


Just as I turned back on the loop and heading south there is the sandy turn of heading down. I had noticed it one my first go around and thought it might get me to the sego lilies.


More bitter brush.


This is the hill below the sign, so far no luck.


The thin trail connects to a wider trail. Which looks like you could make an even longer loop using that all the way. Anyway, head right.


Still nada.


Continuing along the sandy trail.


That trail leads up to the bench at the point of Flanders Point, so I am directly under the point and still no sego lilies. Darn. Maybe they are further down.


WHOA!!!! Look at how much water is in Dry Creek! That’s nuts. There is a reason it it called Dry.


Well, at the time I didn’t really know where this trail lead so I decided to just turn around.

I went about .33 miles. With about 85 feet of elevation gain. I was able to confirm it is a loop and I would wager the full thing is probably about a mile, mile and a half. Might have to come back to explore it.

Mount Jordan again.


Heading back up the sandy trail.


I don’t know what these are, but they look like giant dandelions.


The last push up to the point.


Heading back down the North Rim Trail.


Back down to the neighborhood connector at Flanders Dr.

Well that was a fun random extra adventure. I am a little sad I didn’t find a field full of sego lilies, but I mean, I did see that last weekend so not the end of the world. And I found a new trail to explore, so that’s fun. Not too busy today, but it is a weekday and well, the main trailhead, Wrangler Trailhead is currently closed for improvements. 7 squirrels today.

As for difficulty, the main loop is pretty flat and easy. The lower loop had a bit of a climb, but still pretty easy DR3 for both.

Dogs are allowed but must remain leashed at all times.

No comments: